Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Day Master
I'm definitely no mastering engineer, but I mastered this one as a challenging exercise.

.wav    Another Day Calling Master.wav --  (Download: 33.68 MB)

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
You are all right - thank God! I already started to worry ... You disappeared after the fires in Australia last year. I am very glad for your return and new job!
Alexander
Some friendly criticism (from me).
I like the song with your mixing concept right away, I want to listen to it and listen to it. The original sound gives charm, leaves a good impression. There is something fabulous in this.

but there are some details

1. Too wide panorama in the introduction (at the very beginning) - the sound "behind the back" in this place does not look justified.
- Maybe this place can be made mono, for contrast?
2. Found a strong resonance Freq = 2200 Q = 4. It does not allow listening at high volume levels.
- Treatment: DynEq Freq = 2200 Q = 4 Gain = -4 Threshold = -35-40. But it's better and easier, of course, to apply something like DSEQ to a track that resonates.
3. It is possible that the High Shelf is too aggressive, which causes some treble deficiency.
- Treatment: Freq = 14000 Hz Gain = + 3 Q = 18
4. Also Tape Saturation (I thought it was applied) had a somewhat negative effect on the copper drums. It may need to be loosened up a bit. But maybe it was done at the recording stage.

Perhaps I'm wrong about something ...)))))
Alexander
It took me a while to notice that this is a mastering group. ))) I posted my version of the track. Criticize me here: https://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/show...?tid=34944
Alexander
(24-08-2020, 04:08 PM)Equilibrium Wrote: You are all right - thank God! I already started to worry ... You disappeared after the fires in Australia last year. I am very glad for your return and new job!
Hey Alexander! Thank you for your kind concern, but yes, I'm ok.  We're in Brisbane, which is north, and a more humid climate than where most of the bushfires were, so we were not really affected... I've just been super busy, so haven't had much time to spend here...

Quote:Some friendly criticism (from me).
I like the song with your mixing concept right away, I want to listen to it and listen to it. The original sound gives charm, leaves a good impression. There is something fabulous in this.

but there are some details

1. Too wide panorama in the introduction (at the very beginning) - the sound "behind the back" in this place does not look justified.
- Maybe this place can be made mono, for contrast?
2. Found a strong resonance Freq = 2200 Q = 4. It does not allow listening at high volume levels.
- Treatment: DynEq Freq = 2200 Q = 4 Gain = -4 Threshold = -35-40. But it's better and easier, of course, to apply something like DSEQ to a track that resonates.
3. It is possible that the High Shelf is too aggressive, which causes some treble deficiency.
- Treatment: Freq = 14000 Hz Gain = + 3 Q = 18
4. Also Tape Saturation (I thought it was applied) had a somewhat negative effect on the copper drums. It may need to be loosened up a bit. But maybe it was done at the recording stage.

Perhaps I'm wrong about something ...)))))

Actually, I think you are absolutely accurate with your assessment of the weaknesses in my master here. 

I was specifically trying to address (what I perceived) as some issues in the mix provided -
There were 4 issues with the mix that I tried to improve:
1. The vocals were too quiet
2. There wasn't enough bass and "warmth" in the low mids in general. The mix felt "sterile"
3. That hihat!
4. The final build was overly dynamic

I think I took it as far as I could towards improving those issues working from the limitations of just a stereo mix.  As such, the final result was always going to have some compromises in it, and I think those are what you've pointed out here. 

Those issues would definitely be better addressed at the mixing stage, but I think I'm reasonably happy with where it got to in the end.
Thanks for your input and your concern - much appreciated!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases