Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take on "Cage"
So my studio doesn't normally work in this genre, but I thought I'd take a crack at mixing it.  There's a "mix" mp3 below and a "master" mp3.  The titles should speak for themselves.  The mix file leaves about 6db of headroom at its loudest points.  The master file pushes everything up, but it's not smashed to bits.
Hope they are enjoyable.  Definitely a learning experience for me.

.mp3    Cage Mix MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 12 MB)

.mp3    Cage Master MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 12 MB)

(04-08-2020, 02:11 AM)vicenzajay Wrote: So my studio doesn't normally work in this genre, but I thought I'd take a crack at mixing it.  There's a "mix" mp3 below and a "master" mp3.  The titles should speak for themselves.  The mix file leaves about 6db of headroom at its loudest points.  The master file pushes everything up, but it's not smashed to bits.
Hope they are enjoyable.  Definitely a learning experience for me.
Really thin try beefing it up a bit
Appreciate the listen.

Not hearing the mix, writ large, as thin at all, though - and freq analysis bears that out. It's actually very healthy throughout the low mids (and lows, for that matter).

I wonder if you're listening to the "mix" as compared to other mixes that are actually mastered in these threads? That might make sense if they're not volume matched - then it would be perceived as thin, I suppose.

Anything specific you're referencing when you say "really thin"? If it's a guitar tone thing, that would be helpful to know (and understandable, I suppose, tastes will differ in that regard). The other possibility is listening environment - if bass frequencies aren't treated well in your listening space, then properly balanced mixes will sound thin (because, physics).

Again, appreciate the listen and the willingness to comment.
(07-08-2020, 07:16 AM)vicenzajay Wrote: Appreciate the listen.

Not hearing the mix, writ large, as thin at all, though - and freq analysis bears that out. It's actually very healthy throughout the low mids (and lows, for that matter).

I wonder if you're listening to the "mix" as compared to other mixes that are actually mastered in these threads?  That might make sense if they're not volume matched - then it would be perceived as thin, I suppose.

Anything specific you're referencing when you say "really thin"?  If it's a guitar tone thing, that would be helpful to know (and understandable, I suppose, tastes will differ in that regard).  The other possibility is listening environment - if bass frequencies aren't treated well in your listening space, then properly balanced mixes will sound thin (because, physics).

Again, appreciate the listen and the willingness to comment.
Well when iI say thin I mean as a whole the mix needs more balls more punch and certain areas where I dont hear everything and on spot where the guitar literally jumps out at me very intense the mix sounds good but to me it just needs more balls and I understand its not your style of mixing its all good man thanks for posting....
It's all good - just wanting a bit more specifics on the feedback. Yeah - I intentionally jammed the lead in the break between bridge and final chorus for an effect. That would obviously be something I would get the band's opinion on, etc. with respect to their vision.

Thanks again!

:-)