Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friggy Mix - Carnival Charade
A 3rd remix! I keep changing some studio stuff around after each mix so it makes more sense to me to just open the session, clear all the settings and redo it. I don't plan on changing anything else around now, so this version will be what revisions are based off of.

Code:
-Updated with MixV2, which is a brand new mix and not just some tweaks on the first mix.
-Here we go. I noticed a lot of the tracks were lacking body and low end, and also had this odd peak around 5khz. Makes me wonder what the room they monitored in was like. There was also some random editing in some tracks, or gate settings cutting the signal out.
Just some little weirdness, nothing major. I tried to get things sounding full and natural.

.mp3    00-Carnival Charade MixV1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    02-Carnival Charade MixV2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    03-Carnival Charade MixV3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

Your mix sounds very boxy and has probably too much low end on kit and guitars. Your vocals are also in contrast too piercing and dry, needs less saturation and some ambience as it's bringing out some real nasty qualities.

What/where's the 5khz thing? Only think I could see is possibly in vocal takes but that's likely the singers tone of voice. The toms and vocal cuts are to remove parts where they aren't used with gating and shaping applied over the top to smooth it after.
Thanks for checking it out! It's been a bit since I did this mix so I just cleared all the settings and re-did the whole thing. MixV2 will be in the first post.

The cuts I was talking about are in the snare, a couple times it cuts out during a tom hit or for a cymbal, trying to control the bleed. Some other snare hits are just manually turned up, bleed and all. Overheads had some of that happening too, probably to focus on a cymbal hit.

It's minor, but does sound weird when something just drops out, or when cymbal bleed is suddenly louder.
I like the first mix better, the only thing I would change is maybe pull the distorted guitars back some.