Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flames - Combrains Mix
Hi All,
Had a crack at mixing this one.  Have to say, it was a pleasure to work on.  Didn't really do much other than add some compression and presence to the vocals, and some bottom end to the guitars and bass, and some panning and balancing.  I also have a compressor on the mix bus at around 1.5:1 ratio, 10ms attack and 200ms release, set for about 3dB gain reduction, just to glue the sound together.
What would I like to improve?
  • I would love the guitars to be a little more 'in you face' - suggestions welcome on how to achieve this
  • I would love the toms to be a little punchier, but I couldn't achieve this without adding too much boom - again suggestions welcome.

Also note, the mix is a little quiet due to not having been run through a mastering limiter.  I need to find some compression techniques and a limiter that will allow me to get the loaudness up without crushing and distorting the cymbals too much and without causing the track to pump too much.

Feedback appreciated as always.

Cheers

.mp3    Flames V3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.76 MB)

New Version.
  • Added way more bottom end punch to the track
  • Thickened the guitar tone to be more aggressive (small boost around 2-2.5k plus a low shelf to fatten the bottom)
  • Fatter snare sound (boost around 200-300Hz and 800Hz and mixed in more snare room)
  • Punchier toms
Enjoy.

.mp3    Flames V5.mp3 --  (Download: 12.76 MB)

(18-07-2020, 01:14 PM)combrains Wrote: New Version.
  • Added way more bottom end punch to the track
  • Thickened the guitar tone to be more aggressive (small boost around 2-2.5k plus a low shelf to fatten the bottom)
  • Fatter snare sound (boost around 200-300Hz and 800Hz and mixed in more snare room)
  • Punchier toms
Enjoy.
Good mix, the changes you made were on point with your mix. Well balanced and low end control. Good work