Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel 13 - Roar [OoF]
Hi guys,

I kept this mix heavy on the center (for the verses, it opens up a lot in the chorus), leaving the sides for some elements, such as the room for stomps and other percussion, the one-chord guitars that come up in the second chorus, or the background vocals. The rest is panned to the center, including both guitars, so they kinda sound as one. It's not meant to sound narrow, but to make a contrast.
Btw, for the claps I added some clap samples and also tried a wood stud sample. 
There's slap echo on the voice to give it that rockabilly vibe, and also on some other elements less prominently. 
There's a lot of distortion in all shapes and sizes sprinkled here and there, and everywhere too. 

Let me know what you think about it. Thanks!

.mp3    Diesel13_Roar_OoF.M1-001.mp3 --  (Download: 7.3 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hey there Smile
You mix is so good, its impossible to find things that sound bad and still really hard to find things I would change:

The mandolin (is it even a mandolin?) in the end, is a bit bright and too upfront for me.
In my mind it would fit better to place it in the background and let it create more ambience.
The delay/reverb combo on the background vocals "uh"-stabs is a tiny bit too loud and distracting for me.
Take this with a good amount of salt, as I cant get a mix this good. Lol.

Cheers,
Lukas Angel
I Like your mix ,It sounds well balanced on my monitors .
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks Thedon and Lukas for the kind words!

This mix was one of those rare cases when things just fall naturally into place. It's a really well-oriented set of tracks, a simple production ready to mix.

I agree with both of your nitpicks, Lukas, probably would dial them back after a couple revisions, but it's just creative stuff for fun in the absence of artist feedback anyway. I'm really glad that I got the critical stuff right this time!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.