Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silona_LearningHowToFly-Yoshi-Mix3
First impressions.

2nd   OctopusOnFire  advice version

3rd   thedon & OctopusFire  advice version

Thanks for listening.

---Yoshi

.mp3    Silona_LearningHowToFly-Yoshi-MIx.mp3 --  (Download: 5.24 MB)

.mp3    Silona_LearningHowToFly-Yoshi-MIx2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.24 MB)

.mp3    Silona_LearningHowToFly-Yoshi-Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.03 MB)

Listening to your mix, I don't find any problem until the song gets going on with the second verse. There, it feels that the C note on the bass is out of control, louder than the rest. There are some resonances there that should be tamed. The kick drum also seems to become too prominent for the style.

Other than that, the mix works very well. Good job!
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hi OctopusOnFireOctopusOnFire

Thanks for the comment.

I fixed the base and kick
Is it easier to hear?

Thanks for listening.

---Yoshi

.mp3    Silona_LearningHowToFly-Yoshi-MIx2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.24 MB)

Hi Yoshi .
Listening to Mix2
Sounds well balanced on my monitors Thinking the kick sounds like it's enhancing the bass on some notes ( Maybe What OOF Is Also Hearing ), I think the bottom end will sound more balanced if the Kick was a little less punchy maybe 3-4 db around the 40-60hz are and bring the bass up in the same area.
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Yeah, since the bass is poking out only on some frequencies, you could easily fix it using a dynamic eq such as TDR NOVA, focusing only on the frequencies that poke out and then using a LA-2A comp or similar (MJUC works great on the MK2 setting for adding harmonic content) to compress and add some harmonics to make that area around 800 - 1000 Hz a little bit more prominent instead of leaving all the energy in the low end.
I definitely agree with Thedon about the kick. It doesn't need to be that punchy for this song.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hi thedon & OctopusFire

Thanks for the comment.

I was revising my kicks and bass, but I had some questions about the overall concept, so I made a new one!
I made it with the problem in mind.
I don't know if it's done yet.

Thank you.

----Yoshi

.mp3    Silona_LearningHowToFly-Yoshi-Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.03 MB)

Hi Yoshi,

I don't remember who said this, but it was a pro mixer: You never finish a mix, you abandon it. So, the mix is NEVER done Big Grin

Jokes aside, I like your 3rd version very much. The low end seems to work in favor of the flow of the song instead of against it. Now I can hear a problem that also happened in your previous 2 mixes: The guitars (and probably other elements) are occupying space around 1K-3K where the voice could shine a bit more. That's working against the depth of the mix. The voice could also use some de-essing.