Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnny Lokke - Whisper To A Scream
Hello

Here is my mix or at least the first version.
Feel free to comment or criticize.

Versions:
01 - first mix
02 - reworked panning. guitars wider, ohs and vocals narrower
03 - guitars louder, toms more natural sound, bvox a little quieter
04 - 200 off of bass, reduced "click" in kicks, a little brighter snare

.mp3    Whisper To A Scream 01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.54 MB)

.mp3    Whisper To A Scream 02.mp3 --  (Download: 9.54 MB)

.mp3    Whisper To A Scream 03.mp3 --  (Download: 9.6 MB)

.mp3    Whisper To A Scream 04B.mp3 --  (Download: 9.6 MB)

Practice your analytic listening skills.
Listen others mixes and give feedback.
Become a better mixer.
I don't like panning. Guitar in mono, vocals very wide. In this case very wide cymbals sounds bit annoying. Could you show me version with hard panned guitar (left/right)?
Hello

Thank you for your feedback.
I made a new version and you are correct, it does sounds now better.
The file is in the first post.

I panned the guitar more side but not hard left/right. Somehow it didn't sound so good so I left theme to 60/60.
I panned the ohs to 70/70 and they sounded at that point similar to those guitars.
The lead vocal is in the center so did you mean that the reverb is too wide?
I also panned the bvox a little more to the center.
Become a better mixer.
sounds like everything is sorted now and I like it. Not crazy about the toms and I would back the low vocal down a notch or two, but other than that I enjoyed it quite a lot! Thanks for sharing!

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com
(26-12-2013, 02:50 PM)Moonwrist Wrote: Here is my mix or at least the first version.
Feel free to comment or criticize.

Versions:
01 - first mix
02 - reworked panning. guitars wider, ohs and vocals narrower

Listened to both; 02 is definitely the best of the two.

In fact, I have to be honest: I like it better than my own mix. Guitars are spot on, kick has a nice "thump," snare cuts through perfectly. Vocals are a little higher than I would have thought appropriate but somehow in this mix the higher vocals not only work but actually evoke that old 80s hard rock sound this song's just begging for. Big Grin

Can't think of a single thing I'd change here, with the possible exception of allowing that last cymbal hit to tail off a little longer and fading it out more gradually; it'd sound more natural. Other than that, I just LOVE this mix! REALLY fine work. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Great soundin mix. Like Johnny said the toms could be worked on.
Very cool sound. Guitars sound great. Your vocal level is much higher than I choose, but it sounds balanced and great. Just those toms.

Great work
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Voelund and Johnny wrote about the toms and their sounds. Could you give me a hint to witch direction should I move?
Like are the toms too heavy and should sound more rock or the other way round. Maybe more disco or Phil Collins pop sound Smile

Pedaling Prince and Voelund. As a reference I listened Bruce Dickinsons solo album Balls to Picasso.
And to compared that in my mix vocals are little louder but that can be also my mixing style or philosophy to treat a lead voc always as a solo instrument like a solo guitar. On top and up front.
I will try how it would change the mix if I drop the vocals a bit.
Become a better mixer.
OK. I made the next version of this mix. The file is in the first message.

I reworked the toms trying to get more natural sound by reducing click and attack and added more reverb.
The guitars are now a little bit louder and hopefully sound more aggressive. I also turned the drums up a notch and boosted low mids in the bass to keep them up with the guitars .
That low vocal is now compressed more to keep it more clearly behind the lead vocal.
Become a better mixer.
Good mix! but i listen some little things to be worked on. Im just being objective and I wont talk about panning-reverb delay etc.
try cutting those mid low frecuencies around 250-500 hz on the bass guitar it adds muddines to the mix and makes guitars and voices less intelligible!
voices are well worked pretty clear but remmember those frecuencies from the bass fighting!
Try to reduce a little bit that niddle bass drum around 4-5khz
Work on the slap of the snare try to give it more pressence
Hello Dany and thank you for you feedback.
I made a new version. The file is in the first post.

I reduced low mids of bass a little lower. Around 200-250 hz.
This sounded better to me than little higher but feel free to disagree Wink
It can be that in my mix the guitar sounds are a little bit thin and I could have cut the bass more and add that missing low end to the guitars.
That also give more room for the snare and it sounds more clear but I also increased a little bit more presence boost to the snare.
And then I reduced high boost of the kicks.
Become a better mixer.