Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Another Life Mix
After the great conversation with the artist below, I revisited the mix one more time.  It is attached here and in the last post below.  To my ears, I had overcooked the solo a bit on the first two passages (with it being nicely situated with the second "Strings" track once that came back into the mix).  I also did just a bit of stereo work to widen the field given the anthem-type feel of the piece.  The chorus (Dim D) work and pan work on the guitars and synth remain the same.

Hope it is enjoyable.  This was fun to work on - not least for the energetic engagement by the artist!

.mp3    Another Life 3 MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.08 MB)

(09-07-2020, 09:17 PM)vicenzajay Wrote: Here's my take on this song.  I also pushed the levels of the track a bit - there's about 6db of headroom on this version.  Hope it is enjoyable as a listen.
Hi vicenzajay, thank you for working on our song. We always enjoy listening to different versions of our song. Most importantly we hope you enjoy listening and mixing it.

If you do please support us by liking our Spotify music and following us on Instagram 
Link: https://www.instagram.com/imp.act.rocksg/ 

It sounds like some part of your mix has some digital clipping or maybe it's just the .mp3 compression. There are also some phase issues in the track (or I could wrong, it could be your creative intention). Nonetheless great job! Hope you had lots of fun!
Thank you for that - always good to get some feedback.  Yeah - I intentionally used the clipper a bit in the limiter for a particular effect this time.  Nice ears.  Thanks for also noticing the phase movement I inserted in a number of places...:-)

I did a different mix today as well.  Several things were treated differently (and EQ'd differently as well).  Hope it is also interesting.  Of note, a greater dynamic range is preserved in this version, and as a bass/rhythm player myself, I decided to push the low end/kick/etc. a bit more here for fun.

Note - this mix removed as my most recent mix is posted above.
E.NKS Wrote:There are also some phase issues in the track (or I could wrong, it could be your creative intention). Nonetheless great job! Hope you had lots of fun!

What you are probably also hearing (given your excellent observations) is the UAD Studio D chorus I sent guitars 6-8 to (as a buss send). The plug was set to a "synthesizer widening" preset (tweaked, of course), and the send levels were about -11db per track to that buss. That causes the phasey in/out throbbing of the guitars on sustained passages. It was, as you put it, a creative "try" at something interesting :-) and to put even more movement into the rhythm backdrop of the song (as was the auto-pan, etc. with the low synth early on). Fun stuff - and thanks for letting us work on it. Stay safe during this crazy year, and like several other posters have said in this thread, I'll be looking for anything else you are willing to post up here as well. You all sound like you would be super fun to work with creatively. Cheers, Jay.
(12-07-2020, 11:07 PM)vicenzajay Wrote:
E.NKS Wrote:There are also some phase issues in the track (or I could wrong, it could be your creative intention). Nonetheless great job! Hope you had lots of fun!

What you are probably also hearing (given your excellent observations) is the UAD Studio D chorus I sent guitars 6-8 to (as a buss send).  The plug was set to a "synthesizer widening" preset (tweaked, of course), and the send levels were about -11db per track to that buss.  That causes the phasey in/out throbbing of the guitars on sustained passages.  It was, as you put it, a creative "try" at something interesting :-) and to put even more movement into the rhythm backdrop of the song (as was the auto-pan, etc. with the low synth early on).  Fun stuff - and thanks for letting us work on it.  Stay safe during this crazy year, and like several other posters have said in this thread, I'll be looking for anything else you are willing to post up here as well.  You all sound like you would be super fun to work with creatively.  Cheers, Jay.
Hi vicenzajay,

Wow! That's a lot of hard work! We are more than happy to have everyone work on our song. We are heading back to the studio to record our EP in August but it will be slow because of the current situation we have to track individually with a minimal number of people in the studio. Maybe we might release Singles again. We'll see how things pan out but we have scheduled to track the next song in August. Do follow us on social media if you wish to get the latest news about what we are doing. Cheers, take care and stay safe!
(13-07-2020, 01:10 PM)E.NKS Wrote: Hi vicenzajay,

Wow! That's a lot of hard work! We are more than happy to have everyone work on our song. We are heading back to the studio to record our EP in August but it will be slow because of the current situation we have to track individually with a minimal number of people in the studio. Maybe we might release Singles again. We'll see how things pan out but we have scheduled to track the next song in August. Do follow us on social media if you wish to get the latest news about what we are doing. Cheers, take care and stay safe!

Thanks again for responding and the feedback - it's so nice to experience that kind of responsiveness in this kind of venue. Sounds great about your new EP this fall....always good to hear about folks being creative and channeling positive energy in these times! I'll for sure follow you all online, and thanks again for making your material available for mixing here :-) If I can help promote you or otherwise in any way in the future, feel free to let me know...
Did one more mix as I think I overcooked the lead a bit on its first two passages.  I also did some other stereo work (noted in the first post above).
Cheers and everyone stay safe!

@E.NKS - would love any thoughts as to this last version (#3 - posted above) if you have the time/inclination. Also - nice Instagram site...
(13-07-2020, 10:46 PM)vicenzajay Wrote: Did one more mix as I think I overcooked the lead a bit on its first two passages.  I also did some other stereo work (noted in the first post above).
Cheers and everyone stay safe!

@E.NKS - would love any thoughts as to this last version (#3 - posted above) if you have the time/inclination.  Also - nice Instagram site...
I've heard your new version. It's really cool that you created another mix version. The lead is very clean and upfront in the mix. Everything sounds more distinct in the mix. I enjoy it. Thank you for working on it again!
(17-07-2020, 07:53 AM)E.NKS Wrote: I've heard your new version. It's really cool that you created another mix version. The lead is very clean and upfront in the mix. Everything sounds more distinct in the mix. I enjoy it. Thank you for working on it again!

Thank you very much - all the best and stay safe!