Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 2nd Attempt at this one
I posted my first mix of this song some time back, and a few folks were kind enough to offer up advice to improve the effort. After a few months I decided to go at it again with fresh ears and, frankly, I feel it is a much improved result. Perhaps my ears just weren't quite in it the first time, or I rushed, or, it could be that I never really did like my speakers, but Santa Claus brought me an early present this year--Rokit 8s, HOORAY!, so now I have no excuses! lol

Anyway, if any of you kind folks have a moment, please take a listen and let me know if I should be going for a 3rd try in another few months.

Thanks a ton.

PS: I realize the vocals are a bit low in a few areas. I was unable to go back and make corrections without starting completely over for Windows reinstall and software change reasons. Since I'm not the one releasing the official CD though, I figure, I'll live.

.mp3    Bobby Nobody--Stitch Up Master.mp3 --  (Download: 8.23 MB)

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(26-12-2013, 11:24 AM)grizwalter Wrote: I posted my first mix of this song some time back, and a few folks were kind enough to offer up advice to improve the effort. After a few months I decided to go at it again with fresh ears and, frankly, I feel it is a much improved result. Perhaps my ears just weren't quite in it the first time, or I rushed, or, it could be that I never really did like my speakers, but Santa Claus brought me an early present this year--Rokit 8s, HOORAY!, so now I have no excuses! lol

Anyway, if any of you kind folks have a moment, please take a listen and let me know if I should be going for a 3rd try in another few months.

Thanks a ton.

PS: I realize the vocals are a bit low in a few areas. I was unable to go back and make corrections without starting completely over for Windows reinstall and software change reasons. Since I'm not the one releasing the official CD though, I figure, I'll live.

Hi!

I like some ideas in yours mix and nothing else!

Go 3rd try!

Google translate! Blush
Well that's a bit vague. I mean, there is no way it is that bad! I've comped it against a thousand things, and it is a good mix, no question. It might not be what you like exactly, but it ain't THAT bad. Sheesh. Maybe if you were more specific?

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(06-01-2014, 01:11 AM)grizwalter Wrote: Well that's a bit vague. I mean, there is no way it is that bad! I've comped it against a thousand things, and it is a good mix, no question.

If you think so, who am I, to judged this? Undecided

My apologies!
(06-01-2014, 01:11 AM)grizwalter Wrote: I've comped it against a thousand things, ........

Tell me just one!
Hi Grizwalter,

I think your mix is probably a bit hot. I downloaded into my DAW just to make sure, and the wave file certainly looks very busy, not necessarily squashed, but absolutely jammed packed with very little headroom.

I really liked the vocals, which were pretty clear, but the bass especially was extremely distorted. I know that the intro section has that distorted effect, but it seems a bit too much.

Try dialing back all your faders about 3 db, and maybe the bass& drums a touch more.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you calibrate your lovely new speakers to 83-85dbSPL at -20dBFS using -20dBFS Pink Noise

Good luck
(06-01-2014, 11:00 AM)mik123 Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 01:11 AM)grizwalter Wrote: I've comped it against a thousand things, ........

Tell me just one!

Well, when I comp against reference material, I attempt to find songs which represent a similar soundscape, in this case heavy on the distorted electric guitars. Two of the songs that pop right to mind which I used, and often do for mixing/mastering these types of tunes, are Wonderful, by Everclear, and Low, by Cracker.

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(06-01-2014, 12:44 PM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hi Grizwalter,

I think your mix is probably a bit hot. I downloaded into my DAW just to make sure, and the wave file certainly looks very busy, not necessarily squashed, but absolutely jammed packed with very little headroom.

I really liked the vocals, which were pretty clear, but the bass especially was extremely distorted. I know that the intro section has that distorted effect, but it seems a bit too much.

Try dialing back all your faders about 3 db, and maybe the bass& drums a touch more.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you calibrate your lovely new speakers to 83-85dbSPL at -20dBFS using -20dBFS Pink Noise

Good luck

Hey HBguitar. Thanks for the listen and some actually constructive feedback!

I'm intrigued by your assessment of the mix, and also quite impressed that you took the time to import the stereo file into your DAW. Thanks for going the extra mile there.

As to the level of the mix, this song is without question about as hot a mix as I've done in a while, I won't argue that point. However, I think your thoughts regarding the bass guitar is probably the biggest contributing factor to that appearance as a whole, or the need for me to push everything else above it. The extreme distortion on the bass was completely intentional, for better or worse! lol I don't know if you listened to the original mix of the song, but when I first heard it, I was immediately taken off guard by the bass and the distortion right out of the gate. Funny that, in listening to my own mix, there are times when I immediately think, "too much," and other times when I say, "awesome; you really pushed that one and got away with it grizzy!"

I ran this mix though a program called AAMS which does automatic reference checking and recommendations against commercial releases. According to it, my overall loudness of the mix was about 1 - 2 DB below the commercial standard, and I adjusted accordingly (along with other mastering requirements) for the final mastered copy posted here in MP3.

With that said, I think I'll do what you did and import it to my DAW and take a look myself!

As to my speaker calibration, there is still ONE thing I'm waiting for from Santa; a sound pressure level meter! I used to mix at 90dbSPL or thereabouts, but with the new 8" woofers on these babies, I'm still trying to get that sweet volume level solidified, going on instinct until Santa returns. Alternatively, the tooth fairy or Easter Bunny can feel free to drop by.

Thanks for the listen and feedback sir!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(06-01-2014, 01:00 PM)grizwalter Wrote:

Tell me just one!

Well, when I comp against reference material, I attempt to find songs which represent a similar soundscape, in this case heavy on the distorted electric guitars. Two of the songs that pop right to mind which I often use for reference against these types of tunes are Wonderful , by Everclear, and Low, by Cracker.

I'm comparing these two songs with your mix!

Now I understand!

Thanks!
(06-01-2014, 01:16 PM)mik123 Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 01:00 PM)grizwalter Wrote:

Tell me just one!

Well, when I comp against reference material, I attempt to find songs which represent a similar soundscape, in this case heavy on the distorted electric guitars. Two of the songs that pop right to mind which I often use for reference against these types of tunes are Wonderful , by Everclear, and Low, by Cracker.

I'm comparing these two songs with your mix!

Now I understand!

Thanks!

Well good good. I appreciate you taking some time to check things out like that. Thanks sir!

Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]