Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
mix with tubes
this song was awesome. cambridge is really providing great songs with plenty of stems. this one i wanted to give it a fat low end with a hint of tape saturation and hiss. used mostly analog emulation plugins. opinions and criticisms welcome. thanks for listening.

.mp3    Sugar (Mixed by Manny).mp3 --  (Download: 9.7 MB)

Cool mix man3ster Smile
you intentionally added 60 cycle hum ? that is... something we work really hard to kill, not a desirable effect. ... the mid range is crowded, mostly from the mix being over-compressed overall. Maybe less of the analog emulation plugins. It's tiring to listen to. Leave some dynamics, room for it to breathe. those croaking noises at the end are gross, they sound like phlegm, a producer might opt to leave those out. This mix made me really notice how those little high single notes on the guitar are very out of tune.
boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
MTSU Mass Comm Recording Industry, BS in Audio Recording Production & Tech, 2004
 using Cubase 10

Gear List
(08-07-2020, 02:03 PM)crownoise Wrote: Cool mix man3ster Smile
thanks for the listen @crownoise. ill have a listen to your mix as well if you have submitted one.
(08-07-2020, 04:00 PM)boomaga Wrote: you intentionally added 60 cycle hum ?  that is... something we work really hard to kill, not a desirable effect.  ... the mid range is crowded, mostly from the mix being over-compressed overall.    Maybe less of the analog emulation plugins.  It's tiring to listen to.  Leave some dynamics, room for it to breathe.    those croaking noises at the end are gross, they sound like phlegm, a producer might opt to leave those out.  This mix made me really notice how those little high single notes on the guitar are very out of tune.
Hi @boomaga. Yeah I left on the noise from the tape emulation as an aesthetic choice (sometimes preferring the rough artifacts of analog over pristine digital). Perhaps I will upload a second version with analog noise removed. As far as compression goes, the tape machine  on the 2bus is saturating the signal maybe a bit too much for your taste. The only other thing moderately working a compressor is a compressor on the vocal compressing as much as -4db. there is side chain compression on the music with the vocal as the source which is compressing at most -1.5db. there is a fairchild emulator on 2bus barely moving the needle. The croak I left as I prefer to keep in the original included sounds. Thanks for the listen and feedback.
Hi!

Not bad!

The only things that came to mind were I felt maybe the intro vocals could maybe come up a db in relation to the guitars there, and maybe the vocals need to come up a bit in the verse, in relation to the snare (or maybe the snare needs to come down just a touch there perhaps?). Not by much though.

I find vocals quite difficult to get right. Also some like them a bit more upfront, and others like them more in the track, so can depend on taste too.

Personally I didn't have any issues with the hum, or the 'croaking' noises at the end, etc.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
I like that you had a vision for this track but I think you got too caught up in making it sound analog rather than mixing to sound like a song. It feels a little congested and muddy so I would cut some mids. Also I think some more volume adjusting needs to be done to get everything to sit better. Mixing in mono and referencing a professional track helps me balance volume.