Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.14 Average
Blues Bastards - Sugar
Hi,
Had a go at this. 
I've been trying to work on some of my mixing issues... You know, like balance, eq... Blush
Comments welcomed.
Cheers!

Update: Added mix 1.1 - made some minor adjustments to vocals, overheads, kick, etc, Many thanks for the comments.

Update: Added mix 1.2 - further changes made, trying to take into account the comments from Petrenious and Dave.  Much appreciated.  Thanks for listening, and many thanks for the advice!

.mp3    Blues Bastards - Sugar.mp3 --  (Download: 9.6 MB)

.mp3    Blues Bastards - Sugar 1.1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.6 MB)

.mp3    Blues Bastards - Sugar 1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.51 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
It feels good. My only real thought is that the drums feel a little dark and distant. Maybe it's just the snare but it could use a little more crash. A little overall brightness might do the trick and open them up more. The vocals feel louder in the second verse but it's hard to say.

I think that's it.
Nice mix Smile Only wish the kick could come up a smudge maybe? Vox feels a tiny loud at places, but good job.
Many thanks for the comments.

I've made some minor mix changes. I've upped the overheads a touch as I agree they were a bit buried! I've tweaked the vocal level and compression a bit, and made the kick a bit louder - touch more of eq and level. Not sure if its too subtle but I think it's ok? I am still not sure about the vocal level in the 2nd verse. I raised the volume of the guitar arpeggio figure a touch which I think helps, but maybe the vocal still needs to be about 1/2 a dB lower for that section or something? (I lowered the vocal level a touch overall, and lowered the vocal compression level a little bit too).

I've been struggling bit too much with eq and balance, etc for a while. I think I've worked out that my main mix issues stem from monitoring a bit too loud. I now have set quite a conservative listening level as a default. If I feel the need to turn it up, I take a break instead, and come back to it. My interface allows me to set and recall that listening level which I've found really useful, as I can always return to the exact same volume I've set as the benchmark for me. Have to see how it goes, but I feel it will make a big improvement. I feel that's probably what I've been battling against anyway, on top of trying to get a decent mix.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Wow, awesome work! Thank you!
Thank you!

Many thanks for sharing really great tracks.

Cheers!
(05-07-2020, 07:54 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi,
Had a go at this. 
I've been trying to work on some of my mixing issues... You know, like balance, eq... Blush
Comments welcomed.
Cheers!

Update: Added mix 1.1 - made some minor adjustments to vocals, overheads, kick, etc, Many thanks for the comments.
smooth as butter. great mix!
Great work! Pretty round and warm!
i guess it needs more balance and fx automation, cos lots of things happening here at the same time. Static is not sexy) Automation will help to make verses more intimate, and choruses wider/bigger. You can play with mute button or ride faders to change and rotate instruments as you want. It will solve masking problem between instruments too Smile
Thank you for your mixing, have fun!

ps. Anybody hears violins hi freq resonance ?
(07-07-2020, 09:36 PM)Petrenious Wrote: Wow, awesome work! Thank you!

(09-07-2020, 08:32 PM)Petrenious Wrote: Great work! Pretty round and warm!
i guess it needs more balance and fx automation, cos lots of things happening here at the same time. Static is not sexy) Automation will help to make verses more intimate, and choruses wider/bigger. You can play with mute button or ride faders to change and rotate instruments as you want. It will solve masking problem between instruments too Smile
Thank you for your mixing, have fun!

ps. Anybody hears violins hi freq resonance ?

So not quite so awesome after all then?!?
Quote:smooth as butter. great mix!
Thanks!