Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Western Den - Like You Do (boomaga mix)
What a great song.  It's really grown on me.    Telefunken mic'd the lead vocalist with what looks like a SM58 style live mic and there are some fricatives ('f' sounds) that push the diaphragm that right now I don't have a tool to eliminate automatically.    I know how to tweeze those out using my old Wave Editor but since it's now owned by Adobe I can't afford it and the old version doesn't work on my system, so  i'm still working on a technique for dealing with that.    I've watched the live-in-studio vid of the take and in their mix they've killed those noises very effectively.   Surely it's not just a de-esser, is it ?   What do you use (besides a pop screen) ?

Here's a funny thing - I mixed for a good while before I realized my project was set up (and playing) the tracks in 44.1.   Rookie mistake huh ?  After correcting that I had to re-dial in all the EQs ofc, but at least it solved the "how is this guy playing a snare 5 feet wide" question.  
 Please leave feedback.  Thank you !

Edit  Aug 2:  updated mix, revised automation, lowered Snare bottom, added highpass filter to vocals to reduce air-sounds, other small tweaks.

.mp3    The Western Den - Like you do (boomaga mix v2).mp3 --  (Download: 11.12 MB)

boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
MTSU Mass Comm Recording Industry, BS in Audio Recording Production & Tech, 2004
 using Cubase 10

Gear List