Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Koishii (FIRST MIX)
this is the reference track i listened to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7yNvMzz2zg
of course it doesn't compare lol.
and well here is my take on this.. kinda hard, not used to mix pop music.

v2 has some changes. hopefully sounds better.

.mp3    KOISHI1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.9 MB)

.mp3    KOISHI2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.9 MB)

Hi Shul, would like to hear you revisit this one Smile Think you can do it better if you put some effort into it. Think you need to bring some attitude to your drums, make em explode or something Big Grin? Its a smooth sound though.
(04-07-2020, 04:17 PM)crownoise Wrote: Hi Shul, would like to hear you revisit this one Smile Think you can do it better if you put some effort into it. Think you need to bring some attitude to your drums, make em explode or something Big Grin? Its a smooth sound though.
thanks for the input. it's always hard for me to work with sampled drums especially ones that have no smack on them. I'll see what I can do Smile
It reminds me to this kind of elegant pop from the 90s. Really hard to mix, I presume. Lots of polish and shine needed. You got it in the ballpark with the second version. Tonally, I'm kinda missing lows and highs, and I'd bet that it needs more compression on pretty much everything.

Can't say much more than good effort, especially not being versed in this kind of genre.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(05-07-2020, 11:32 AM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: It reminds me to this kind of elegant pop from the 90s. Really hard to mix, I presume. Lots of polish and shine needed. You got it in the ballpark with the second version. Tonally, I'm kinda missing lows and highs, and I'd bet that it needs more compression on pretty much everything.

Can't say much more than good effort, especially not being versed in this kind of genre.

Hey thanks for the input. Yes pop is usually heavily compressed isn't it? I'll mess with compressors and see what's what.  I'm not sure what to do about the low end other than boost bass and kick punh. Ithougjt this was pretty bright already lol. Anyways thanks!!!
Shul:
I am reviewing your v2 of the mix. Here are my observations:
In terms of levels I feel the hit hat, splashes and Vocals are really at front creating a sense of harshness in your mix that its just a matter of level not frequencies. I miss more punch and impact from the snare and kick drums. Bass and rest of the keyboards, strings and percussion are pretty solid in terms of balance and frequency distribution. I will try to automate more in order to create more dynamics into the song. As it is mostly sampled instruments, can become flat in terms of interest after the first verse chorus. Take care.
Hi again Shul. I think V2 is alot better, i like the upfrontness now, and its still not way 2 upfront so still got some dimension to it, mine got a bit flat after master. Drums are alot better, kick is stale and good, snare a bit 2 poky in the highs for me, or is it the claps maybe.
The low end on V2 sounds good but something about the snare almost sounds out of phase. I think if you get that fixed everything will sit a bit better.