Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning How Not To Overproduce Your Song (BCS Mix)
No, Silona, you don't need 36 tracks of percussion for an indie pop song.
No, Silona, you don't need 3 mics for every single guitar take.
No, Silona, you don't need to flood the song with tons of instruments to make it interesting.
This is overproduction at its finest. I almost clawed my eyes out when loading in this project.

Jokes aside, though. The song's fricking beautiful. Seriously. Which is a shame that I almost ragequit and almost missed the opportunity to mix this one. I just kinda take the simple route, audition in only the best mics, and hide all the noisy stuff in the back. Simple and beautiful.
This is my rendition of the song. Hope it doesn't stray far from intended vision, for better or worse. Smile 

I know I'm kinda late to the party this time, but please tell me how do think of this mix, and this awesome song, albeit painfully produced behind the curtain, lol.

.mp3    Learning How To Fly (BCS Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

Hi BCS

I quite like the airy quality you gave it to the voice. It's almost there. It has some resonances coming up from time to time that could be tamed.
The bass seems to bee a tad too forward, I don't know if it's too much compression or sheer loudness, and there's a particular frequency resonating that gives it a boxy quality at times.
The toms that are doing the base percussion are a little too present for my taste, I would've let them be more part of the scenery, but that's my taste anyway.

That's all I can pick apart from a very well-crafted mix.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

agreed. This is a producer reeeeeeeeeally milking studio / tracking time. Or someone who's NOT a producer but promising to make "Silone" a star and demonstrating just how hard he's working to do so.

I'm very surprised you didn't mention how horribly over-tuned her voice is.
boomaga  (Drew Perkins)
MTSU Mass Comm Recording Industry, BS in Audio Recording Production & Tech, 2004
 using Cubase 10

Gear List