Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessica Childress - Slow Down (Hein-Ivan Mix)
Always challenging to mix a live performance, but fun. Hope you like it!

V2 small changes!

V3 some changes!

.mp3    Jessica Childress - Slow Down.mp3 --  (Download: 7.18 MB)

.mp3    Jessica Childress - Slow Down V2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.18 MB)

.mp3    Jessica Childress - Slow Down V3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.19 MB)

Hi!

I was just looking at the new posts and thought I'd check out this mix.

I like the eq & overall shape/balance, but it has too much room/reverb for my taste I think. Might just be me though, as most seem to go for that sound. For me the stomps and claps at the start sound like they are in some huge cavern, and there is a touch too much verb competing with vocal for the rest of the mix perhaps? Maybe I just prefer a drier mix for this one, and envision a different space. I do think the room mics are the key to this one though. What are your thoughts?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(01-07-2020, 09:23 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

I was just looking at the new posts and thought I'd check out this mix. 

I like the eq & overall shape/balance, but it has too much room/reverb for my taste I think. Might just be me though, as most seem to go for that sound.  For me the stomps and claps at the start sound like they are in some huge cavern, and there is a touch too much verb competing with vocal for the rest of the mix perhaps?  Maybe I just prefer a drier mix for this one, and envision a different space.  I do think the room mics are the key to this one though.  What are your thoughts?

Cheers!
Hi! Yes, I do agree is a bit too wet and yes, it's partly because of the room mics. I'll try a new mix later on. Thanks!
I think if you can tuck them in a bit the mix will suddenly snap in to focus. I can't quite remember but I think the room mics got quite a good capture of the performance on this one.

You seem to be putting out some fair mixes at a pretty good rate though!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(01-07-2020, 09:48 PM)mikej Wrote: I think if you can tuck them in a bit the mix will suddenly snap in to focus.  I can't quite remember but I think the room mics got quite a good capture of the performance on this one.

You seem to be putting out some fair mixes at a pretty good rate though!
Hi and thanks. Yes I'v been doing 300+ of the song from this library the last 7 months and now is the time to post them.
Cheers!
Ah I see!

I was thinking who is this guy who is casually doing 20 mixes a day Smile.
(01-07-2020, 11:01 PM)mikej Wrote: Ah I see!

I was thinking who is this guy who is casually doing 20 mixes a day Smile.
Well, during the lockdown 2-3 mixes a day Smile.
That's still quite a lot I think Smile.

Quick edit to say it's a good positive thing to be doing though.
(01-07-2020, 11:16 PM)mikej Wrote: That's still quite a lot I think Smile.

Quick edit to say it's a good positive thing to be doing though.
OK Thanks. I'm mixing all in the box (Reaper) no outboard gear just me, speakers and the PC + some experience also. Cheers!
Same. Well, apart from the experience bit.

Probably not that relevant for this thread but probably ok to put it here anyway as the question occurred to me... I wondered if you are using the same reverb on a send for the whole mix?