Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Silona mix
This is my 3rd mix of the song. I decided to blend elements of the two mixes into this final mix. Feedback is welcome. Ill return feedback. Thanks.

.mp3    Silona - Learning How To Fly (Mannys Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 8.42 MB)

Great use of long reverbs really appropriate to the track. -  The vocal could use some shine and less upper mids as its abit dull. The drums sound papery and the whole thing lacks decent low end
I gave it a couple of listens. It's a bit smaller, more intimate interpretation of the song that it's grown on me.
It feels 'boxy'. The tom part and the 808 snare and maybe acoustics contribute to that and I think more of the lower mids (200-300hz or so) could be cut to open up the song more. Overall the mix feels like there's a bit of a blanket over the whole thing. The kick and snare might be a bit too up front but other than that the balances feel ok. The bass could be more distinct/and louder.

Generally, it feels like fine mix that could use some tweaks. Clean up the lower mids on some of the intruments, add a tough of brightness on the whole thing and it could be a cool mix. You definitely have a feel for what the song should be.

Hope that helps.
(29-06-2020, 01:34 PM)lm425 Wrote: Great use of long reverbs really appropriate to the track. -  The vocal could use some shine and less upper mids as its abit dull. The drums sound papery and the whole thing lacks decent low end
Hi Im425. Thank you for the listen and critique, it is most helpful. I am going to upload an update to the thread to see if it addresses some of the issues. On the first mix I had a high pass filter on it for a lo-fi sound so I took it off of the second mix. I turned down the beater drum but now that the high pass is off it might sound even more papery. Also if you can provide a followup on the low end of the next mix being uploaded. Thanks again.
(29-06-2020, 01:35 PM)RoyM Wrote: I gave it a couple of listens. It's a bit smaller, more intimate interpretation of the song that it's grown on me.
It feels 'boxy'. The tom part and the 808 snare and maybe acoustics contribute to that and I think more of the lower mids (200-300hz or so) could be cut to open up the song more. Overall the mix feels like there's a bit of a blanket over the whole thing. The kick and snare might be a bit too up front but other than that the balances feel ok. The bass could be more distinct/and louder.

Generally, it feels like fine mix that could use some tweaks. Clean up the lower mids on some of the intruments, add a tough of brightness on the whole thing and it could be a cool mix. You definitely have a feel for what the song should be.

Hope that helps.
@RoyM Thank you as well for the critique. The input is very helpful. I took off the high pass as mentioned in the reply to the other user. I believe that is why it sounds like a blanket is over the whole thing. I am uploading another mix with some of the issues address minus the low mids. Let me know if you think it is too bright now. I gave the bass some sub and other adjustments in the entire mix. Thanks again.
Here is the updated mix with some of the suggestions added.

.mp3    Silona - Learning How To Fly (Mannys Mix 6).mp3 --  (Download: 8.42 MB)

The update feels better. A little more 'lively' but not too bright at all. Bass guitar feels a lot better. It helps more the song along. I think the vocals feel a little too far back but it might just be personal preference. Though I think the vocals were the one thing that needed that lower midrange to give them more body.
Thanks again for the follow-up. I actually scooped out some of the low mid on the vocal on that mix. After taking a break and coming back it does sound too hollowed out now. Will make adjustments. Thanks as always for your insight.

*its updated again with a slight lower mid boost on vocal*
I'm listening to Mix 6.

Definitely an improvement from the one in the OP. The bass still could be more consistent. Kinda comes and goes depending on the note. I usually take issue with too much reverb, so I'm tempted to tell you that there is too much reverb Big Grin Or at least, it's too... "fizzy" for my taste. Other than that, in the instrumental part I'd like to hear more of the main synths and less of the accompanying synths.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Listening to Mix 6,
Sounds well balanced.
I agree the reverb sounds a little too wet .
The bass Guitar could come up more in the low frequencies below 80 hz area
Nice work !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts