Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund's - Comfort Lives In Belief - Cefe's Mix
hello there,

This is my attempt to this nice meaningful song. All your comments are very much appreciated.

Cheers!

.mp3    Voelund\'s - Comfort Lives In Belief - Cefe\'s Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

Appreciate your words about the song and the effort you put into mixin it.
Small suggestions: the elgtr is the comp I made which isnt very good. Some of the other mixes here have very creative use of the uncomped guitar tracks. Since you are a creative person ( the telephone voice is a nice touch, maybe eq'd a bit more ?) why not give it a shot with a new and better comp o the electric gtr.
Lead vocal doubles are too loud for my taste.
Bas could come up a tad, then again its a cheap bas and hard to give an expensive sound. Believe me Ive tried ...
Thx for the listen
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
You are welcome...Thank you for posting and let us use this song and to take the time to listen and comment. I really appreciate that.

I worked on your suggestions and also made a new comp on the electric guitar.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace!

.mp3    Voelund\'s - Comfort Lives In Belief - Cefe\'s Mix - Rev1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

Mucho better balance to my ears - and great you comped the guitars..
Did I play that looong note around 1.20 or did you stretch it ? Good call !
I wonder if a person hearin the song for the first time will understand the lyrics.
A small eq adjustment and/or lvl increase in vox will clear that. Its the kinda song where the lyrics mean a little :-)
Or you could try mix the telephone voice very very low. Or leave it as it is :-)

My own mix of it had the drums play in one channel only and a little more weight to lowend drums.
But all these mixes are really interesting to listen to, I guess we all hear diffrent things and find and emphasize qualities in the music that makes sense to ourselfes, but can also open other peoples ears to things they didnt notice.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Yea, I agree with you on that if someone is listening the song for the first time the lyrics get a bit muddy. I boosted 3-4 db in the EQ with a bell Q0.54 at around 3.6Khz. I think it helps, they need to understand these lyrics!
And for that note at 1.20, I actually stretched it Smile

I was just listening to the rest of the mixes. I generally want to get as true to myself as I can before I start comparing or listening to what other people have done. There are some really nice mixes out there. Yours in particular is very interesting. Maybe the drums placed in a different room? Somewhere where the backing vocals are but not that far of course...? I guess i feel that there is too much hitting my left side of the brain and i can't actually place it on its own space...It is amazing how we can all hear and then visualize different things in our heads!

Im a real beginner on this of mixing songs. I guess little by little I will be more confident and start playing around with the arrangements etc to get the songs to sound the way i want. Most of the time I just can't get the sounds I am hearing in my head at all! Frustrating at times but I love it!

Thanks again!

.mp3    Voelund\'s - Comfort Lives In Belief - Cefe\'s Mix - Rev2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

(24-12-2013, 12:06 AM)Cefe Wrote: hello there,

This is my attempt to this nice meaningful song. All your comments are very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Holy mackerel! This mix is AMAZING! Towards the end of it I got so lost in the groove I completely forgot I was listening to critique it! Like, wow, dude!

Let me tell you what happened as I listened:

At first, I didn't like the reverb on the vocal. But then, as the song kept rolling, with that wonderfully dry sound to the guitars, I began to see the wisdom of your choice. The reverb is reminiscent of the way those cheap dynamic mics preachers in gospel churches use...

Now suddenly I was picturing Voelund performing this with a whole gospel choir clapping along behind him to a rapt congregation.

Then, as you kept playing with the vocal sound, I started picturing a music video, only now we're cutting from Voelund singing in a church to singing to a crowd OUTSIDE the church with a megaphone, then running back in and grabbing his mic again as crowds surge in from the streets to hear his performance...

I only get images like that in my head when I REALLY get sucked into a song.

I have to be honest here. While my own mix of this, and Voelund's may be better in raw fidelity, yours IMHO opinion trumps us BOTH for raw creativity, which is often more important than strict fidelity (I myself have used megaphone effects on a few mixes, most notably Dunning Kruger's "Japan Song" and "Sacha" (not yet posted)).

The ONLY things I would change here is bring the vocals forward a little, maybe a 1-2 dB louder; they tend to get buried. Also, the opening "tap tap tap" is a wee bit on the loud side; I'd be more subtle than that, take it down about 8-10 dB.

Other than that, this is my favorite mix of this song! Honestly, I like it better than my own! Smile

Any way I could get ahold of a copy of the original 24-bit master of your mix...? Big Grin
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(25-12-2013, 12:56 PM)Cefe Wrote: You are welcome...Thank you for posting and let us use this song and to take the time to listen and comment. I really appreciate that.

I worked on your suggestions and also made a new comp on the electric guitar.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace!

Y'know, becoming a mixer of music myself I find myself unable to enjoy music the way I used to. Not that I don't still enjoy music but now I do tend to pick a recording apart, trying to figure out what the mixer did and, yes, how I might do it differently/better. It's hard for me nowadays to just get swept away by even the best song without analyzing it.

Your mix of "Comfort Lives in Belief" keeps carrying me away the way music used to. I keep getting so lost in the groove that I forget to listen for the details!

I have GOT to hear more work by you...

That being said, I forgot one comment on your previous mix that also applies to this one: let the reverb at the end tail off; both of your mixes so far cut it off rather abruptly.

Also, though it could be my imagination, the initial "tap tap tap" sounds more tame in this mix, and that's good. The megaphone effect is also more effective, more evocative of a real megaphone.

Once again, would love to get ahold of the 24-bit master of this; if I'm gonna put this on my iPhone for listening I'd rather it be in Apple Lossless format taken directly from the original. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
(25-12-2013, 07:32 PM)Cefe Wrote: Yea, I agree with you on that if someone is listening the song for the first time the lyrics get a bit muddy. I boosted 3-4 db in the EQ with a bell Q0.54 at around 3.6Khz. I think it helps, they need to understand these lyrics!
And for that note at 1.20, I actually stretched it Smile

I was just listening to the rest of the mixes. I generally want to get as true to myself as I can before I start comparing or listening to what other people have done. There are some really nice mixes out there. Yours in particular is very interesting. Maybe the drums placed in a different room? Somewhere where the backing vocals are but not that far of course...? I guess i feel that there is too much hitting my left side of the brain and i can't actually place it on its own space...It is amazing how we can all hear and then visualize different things in our heads!

Im a real beginner on this of mixing songs. I guess little by little I will be more confident and start playing around with the arrangements etc to get the songs to sound the way i want. Most of the time I just can't get the sounds I am hearing in my head at all! Frustrating at times but I love it!

Thanks again!

Ooh, ouch. OK. First misstep... Undecided

All that EQ you did to the vocals does NOT work; now the vocals sound way too brash and harsh. Dragged me right out of the beautiful video your previous two mixes were painting in my mind. Sad

So first off: I recommend putting the vocals BACK THEY WAY YOU HAD THEM EQ-wise. Now, just BRING THEM UP a bit, say 1-2 dB, backing vocals, too. Do that and I suspect it'll solve the problem without ruining that smooth tone you achieved in your original mix.

If after you boost them up they still sound a little unintelligible try applying the following EQ to any track that's competing with them in the midrange:

+9.5 dB @ 80 Hz
-4.5 dB @ 950 Hz
+9 dB @ 12,000 Hz

This is an EQ I use mostly on overdriven electric guitars to cut out some space in the frequency spread for the vocals while still keeping them nice and loud (it works extremely well for that as it also has the side benefit of imparting a nice "full" sound to them), though I've also used it on other instruments and tracks when necessary.

Now bear in mind that any track on which you apply this may end up sounding a little strange when soloed, but in the context of the entire mix it'll likely sound fine AND sit better in the mix as well. So before you make a final decision on whether to apply it to a track, try listening to the whole mix in context first.

However, regardless what else you decide to do I STRONGLY recommend you put the vocals back the way they were; they were sounding AWESOME before.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
Hey John, thank you very much for your kind words and I'm glad that you liked the mix... And then didn't like it and hopefully now you will like it again! Wink

So I followed your advice and took that eq off the vocals and turned them up a bit.

Have a listen and if you still want the 24bit version I can send it to you

Cheers!

.mp3    Voelund\'s - Comfort Lives In Belief - Cefe\'s Mix - Rev3..mp3 --  (Download: 7.35 MB)

(06-01-2014, 10:33 PM)Cefe Wrote: I followed your advice and took that eq off the vocals and turned them up a bit.

Have a listen . . .

Ah, THAT'S better! Now the vocals are sitting perfectly! Big Grin

Now that they are, I'm drawn to two other things you might want to address.

Overall sound is just a LITTLE harsh. Not too serious. You might be able to tame that by backing off on any compression you're using in mastering and/or pulling back a bit in the 5-6 kHz range if any of your tracks have EQ boost there.

Guitars are just a LITTLE loud. Maybe 1-2 dB down would be perfect. Wink

Finally, like in all the other mixes, you're truncating that lovely reverb at the end. I love the idea of the closing laughter fading off in a reverb but it loses its effect if you cut it off before the reverb can finish. Smile

Not trying to nitpick here. This is an AWESOME mix the way it is; these are just a few "touch up" recommendations. Smile

(06-01-2014, 06:37 PM)Shiny Dog Wrote: . . . if you still want the 24bit version I can send it to you

I do. BUT only if you DON'T plan to implement my last round of advice here. If this is your final mix then yes I'd like the 24-bit; if not, if you're still going to make adjustments, I'd rather hear your "final" version first.

Either way, I look forward to hearing that 24-bit. Big Grin
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures