Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wesley Morgan - Backroom in Tulsa
A quite interesting song to mix. By the way, I'm not so sure about the sound of the guitar in the beginning of the song. Do you like how it sounds?

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

.mp3    Wesley Morgan - Backroom In Tulsa.mp3 --  (Download: 5.17 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Hello Juan, i noticed that the vocal has the mid-highs so boosted and as a result we have a voice that drills the ears, the upright bass and the pedal steel guitar are muddy, pay attention at your levels and work with automation as well. It's a good idea to mix in "mono" and use more subtractive EQ.
Hope that helps,
Merry Christmas!
It sounds like youre into an alternative mix of this.
Personally I really like the spooky roomy sound in many of the other mixes, and I miss that quality in yours. My guess is you gated the tom tracks and turned the room mics down or eq'd all meat out o them. While thats very common practice for a rock or pop song this one depends on the room sound and bleed isnt somthin to gate here, its a blessing.

In short you mixed it as a rock pop song which is an artistic choice but tvis style benefit from a. Ore mystic dark roomy sound.

Also I noticed the singer tellin another mixer of the song to cut out the first noises he makes, as hes just finding pitch Big Grin

Do you know Tom Waits ? The song were recorded in a studio he used and my guess is he used it because of the engineer and a great room.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thank you for the comments, guys! and mainly for the advice to make it sound better. And after trying to figure out how to solve those problems, here I am again with the changes:

- now the voice has a different EQ and less 2K. So I hope now it won't hurt anybody's ears Big Grin

- I've tried to see what what causing the bass and the steel guitar sound muddy. I think I found it and here it is.

- I still find it hard to give my mixes other treatment that doesn't make it sound pop or rock, but anyway, one year ago I had no idea about any of this stuff and here I am now. Well, what I really mean is that I want to get better and try to learn as much as I can. I've changed the room tracks and also, I've added some ambience reverb to the mix so it can sound darker. I'm not sure if I've added too much, so please let me know.

And of course, any other improvements will be welcomed as usual Smile

.mp3    Wesley Morgan - Backroom In Tulsa.mp3 --  (Download: 5.17 MB)

mixing since April 2013