Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time posting a mix
I've been mixing various tracks from this website for years now, and this is the first time I've felt confident enough to post one.

A beautiful little tune that I grew to like more as I mixed it - usually it's the opposite!

I tried to feature the lovely vocals, and made great use of my favourite plugin - the mute button! I got rid of all the BVox, and the 2nd vocal in certain places where I felt it was taking away from the emotion of the main vocal. I also made a pretty significant change to the intro - especially considering I'm a drummer!

Any and all feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

.mp3    Prodigal.mp3 --  (Download: 6.75 MB)

It works. I like the shorter intro. The modulation on the vocal might be a bit much. Maybe I'm more noticing volume change when it comes in. It seems to call attention to itself more than supporting the vocal. But I like high-lighting the different sections. When the drums drop out later on it feels a little abrupt. In general I think it could use more of the overheads. I'm missing the time keeping and brightness of the ride/hat throughout the song. They add some liveliness that this song needs. It feels better at the end but he's playing harder and I think he switched over to sticks from bundles(?) by that point. But I might be confusing that with another tune. I'm also missing the BGVs but I think it might be just because I'm used to them.

Overall it feels good.
(23-06-2020, 03:53 PM)RoyM Wrote: It works. I like the shorter intro. The modulation on the vocal might be a bit much. Maybe I'm more noticing volume change when it comes in. It seems to call attention to itself more than supporting the vocal. But I like high-lighting the different sections. When the drums drop out later on it feels a little abrupt. In general I think it could use more of the overheads. I'm missing the time keeping and brightness of the ride/hat throughout the song. They add some liveliness that this song needs. It feels better at the end but he's playing harder and I think he switched over to sticks from bundles(?) by that point. But I might be confusing that with another tune. I'm also missing the BGVs but I think it might be just because I'm used to them.

Overall it feels good.
Thanks for taking the time to listen and give feedback Roy, I really appreciate it. I hoped you'd reply, as I used your original mix as my reference track.
I wasn't able to replicate the really nice full bass sound you achieved and I also liked the punch of your kick sound - do you have any pointers?
I spent quite a bit of time taming the boominess of the kick and originally experimented by adding a kick sample, but it just wasn't working.
Listening again, I totally agree about the OHs, and looking back at my settings, it seems I might have been heavy handed with the modulation settings on the vocal reverbs.
Thanks again,
Paul
(24-06-2020, 11:49 AM)Rainbox Wrote:
(23-06-2020, 03:53 PM)RoyM Wrote: It works. I like the shorter intro. The modulation on the vocal might be a bit much. Maybe I'm more noticing volume change when it comes in. It seems to call attention to itself more than supporting the vocal. But I like high-lighting the different sections. When the drums drop out later on it feels a little abrupt. In general I think it could use more of the overheads. I'm missing the time keeping and brightness of the ride/hat throughout the song. They add some liveliness that this song needs. It feels better at the end but he's playing harder and I think he switched over to sticks from bundles(?) by that point. But I might be confusing that with another tune. I'm also missing the BGVs but I think it might be just because I'm used to them.

Overall it feels good.
Thanks for taking the time to listen and give feedback Roy, I really appreciate it. I hoped you'd reply, as I used your original mix as my reference track.
I wasn't able to replicate the really nice full bass sound you achieved and I also liked the punch of your kick sound - do you have any pointers?
I spent quite a bit of time taming the boominess of the kick and originally experimented by adding a kick sample, but it just wasn't working.
Listening again, I totally agree about the OHs, and looking back at my settings, it seems I might have been heavy handed with the modulation settings on the vocal reverbs.
Thanks again,
Paul

(I'm still not getting the hang of this new reply feature)
This session was a while ago, 2016, I think. And it was the first time really mixing at home on Logic and on earbuds and all that so mostly I was trying to do whatever I could to get the mix to work. I don’t know what I did with the bass. I do know he liked to play bass with the tone knob all the way down so it was a bit of a fight to get to do anything above ‘mud’. I probably used the CLA Bass plug in along with some other stuff. It felt like cheating at the time which in retrospect seems silly. I also probably paralleled an amp simulator as well to try to get some definition.

I don’t really have any pointers regarding the kick. I’d have to dig out the session to remind myself what I did but I’m pretty sure I used or at least tried a sample. If I did it was blended in. There a lot of reasons why that kick might be boomy. One thing is since the OHs were recorded with a Glyn Johns (Never sure where the ’s’ goes) setup the mic on the floor tom side is closer to the kick and tends to add to the overall low end. I’d eq some of that out if you haven’t already. That might help clean things up a bit.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.