Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WaterBoy Mix - Angry Boy Version
Tried to make this mix super aggressive, probably too much low end

.mp3    RyanCali_BackDown_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 9.27 MB)

Love the intro and effects ,
you are right about the bottom end listening on monitors with a sub and headphones can hear lot of deep low frequencies especially with the bass which i like a lot , the bass Guitar sounds a little heavy and competing with the kick below 40-50 hz area.
Can hear the bass and kick are competing for some space in the lower frequencies but the Kick beater Does help the kick Cut Through when listeng on small monitors and Phone.
I think I went the other way , I kept the low bass and rolled off the bottom end of the Kick and boosted around the 90 hz area
Side chaining  (Ducking ) is the way to got to control the bass ad kick in this genre. 

The Lead Vocals in the veres sound a touch bottom end heavy and could come up a touch more , rolling off end below somewhere around 100hz and bringing up the leve may sit better.
the vocals in the Chorus and outro sound nice in the stereo field but could come up more and have a touch more bottom end.
Nice work !
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(20-06-2020, 12:03 PM)thedon Wrote: Love the intro and effects ,
you are right about the bottom end listening on monitors with a sub and headphones can hear lot of deep low frequencies especially with the bass which i like a lot , the bass Guitar sounds a little heavy and competing with the kick below 40-50 hz area.
Can hear the bass and kick are competing for some space in the lower frequencies but the Kick beater Does help the kick Cut Through when listeng on small monitors and Phone.
I think I went the other way , I kept the low bass and rolled off the bottom end of the Kick and boosted around the 90 hz area
Side chaining  (Ducking ) is the way to got to control the bass ad kick in this genre. 

The Lead Vocals in the veres sound a touch bottom end heavy and could come up a touch more , rolling off end below somewhere around 100hz and bringing up the leve may sit better.
the vocals in the Chorus and outro sound nice in the stereo field but could come up more and have a touch more bottom end.
Nice work !
Cheers Big Grin
Hey thanks for listening!  Yeah I think you're right about side-chaining.  I've been demoing the "track-spacer" plugin with some good results.  I'll try this mix again using that.  Haha yes the chorus vocals are a bit thin on this mix, I think I had just done the automation to saturate the synth part and then didn't want to thin it out to make room.  I'll get around to touching this one up
It's real nice, the bass is on point. I like the vocal treatment. The kick point and bass are fighting with the vocal though. It is real close to perfect, it may be just that the bass is to loud. I could use more of the hats also, it is lacking that sparkle that those would provide and maybe balance that heavy bass. I really like it though. Like you said nicely aggressive.
--------
Opinions are like Farts, everyone else's stinks
add a parallel to the lead vocals and let that vocal kick through like the rest of your mix. I enjoyed this mix but the hook vocals got too lost for me