Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wires: 'Red On You'
great recording, so minimalistic approach, only plugins on the masterbus (5): console and tape-emulation by airwindows, tdr master eq, flux bittersweet and a limiter (sonic anomaly). so nothing on the tracks and no reverb or delays. some phase-correction, panning and gainstaging. I think it sounds pretty strong like this. maybe i'll work on it some more, or not? thoughts welcome!

so i worked on it some more (version 003) this time without holding back putting plugins on the individual tracks. cleared the drums up, a little comp on the snare, tamed the cymbals a bit, parallel compression and expander, some preamps, a little room around the mainvocal, another limiter with a clipper on the masterbus (lim6 from vlad), ... any better? (i tried to retain the raw power)

.mp3    Wires - Red on you.mp3 --  (Download: 8.64 MB)

.mp3    Wires - Red on you-003.mp3 --  (Download: 8.64 MB)

Like the organic sound you've got coming from the kit here, fits the track well, personally i'd maybe see about bussing the kit to a subtle compressor and lift the gain a tiny bit to give it some glue.
thanks beeh for listening and your comments. yes indeed, if there was one thing i would have done it would have been some (parallel) compression on the drums to make them a little bigger, but i was on this trip of exploring what was possible with no processing at all on the tracks. i might do a second more elaborate mix later. cheers!
I dig the minimalist approach on the first mix it gives it a kind of authentic 80s US Hardcore vibe, no bells or whistles just pissed off and raging.

I also like that you took a second pass to see what you could do with some more elaborate mixing, I get the impression from the sound and your comments that you set out to keep the organic vibe of your first mix and just sharpen it up a little bit and If so I feel you achieved this goal.

I do feel that if you were to take another pass it would be interesting to hear you go all out on processing the tracks and get really obnoxious with it all, this isn't a modest genre and it can sometimes be fun to get heavy handed and really push everything into the face of the listener.

Cheers!