Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DarkRide_DeadEnemies(Feng Mix)
Hi guys
This is my mix.
Please give me some opinion
Thanks~

.mp3    DarkRide_DeadEnemies(Feng Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 12.88 MB)

(17-06-2020, 10:34 AM)Feng Wrote: Hi guys
This is my mix.
Please give me some opinion
Thanks~
Hi Feng, I hear some great stuff here. But first of all I should congratulate you on having the balls to take on this track. I had my own little battle with it, and it took me days to make sense of it. It has several themes that are boldly patched together. For me it was very difficult that Carsten's lead vocal was heavily processed and had this weird "bunker-verb" coming on and off. I found it severely limiting to what I could do with the mix. I felt forced to go really ambient on the drums, so the lead vocal would still be in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvDUnnc1wV4

I can hear that you had no such qualms, which is a relief. I's just me with this itch I couldn't scratch. I was just completely focused on making the lead vocal make as much sense as possible. So here are my kudos to you:
- you run more bottom end than I did, which is great.
- I love the delay on the middle section grand piano.
- That's one angry bass you've got there, I love it.
- You took the time listen to the sample mix, which I missed completely.
   (so I missed the ending with the synth...)

So all in all, great job. It was definitely not easy to create a single volume of all these different chapters. Good on ya!
Good mix. It has the doomy vibe of the original, which is something most mixes on this platform don't have. I think the vocals are too wet in the verse, and they sound way better and more intimate when they are very close, upfront and "in your face". That's also true for the rhythm guitars.

Overall you did a pretty good job in giving each new piece of this giant sonic puzzle a place to shine and made a ton of tasteful mix decisions. The blast sounds like it's played by a human and not by a machine gun (little know fact: Kevin Talley from Suffocation/Battlecross/Dying Fetus is the drummer on this recording). The solo at the end sounds epic. The vocals are catchy and powerful.

My critique: The original mix has more weight (=bass) too it, and the vocals don't stand out that much while still having enough grit and power. Overall there could be more separation between the instruments (the kick is hard to hear in the last part of the verse), and the guitars should sound wider and need to come up quite a bit. That would be the points I would ask you to fix if you were our mixer for this project
Nick: the snare and toms in your mix need more love, they sound like crap (sorry). everything else is quite good. But yeah, the snare is totally ooc (=out of character). Sorry for using roleplay slang, but a fan of this kind of music would expect a different kind of snare sound. Same goes for the toms. The blast part also sounds crappy because of the snare.

All in all it's not much that's need to be fixed. Just listen to the original mix and try to make the snare and toms sound more modern. And also try to bring in some special fx for the transitions and special moments. That's it Smile