Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All souls moon - voelund
Hello Voelund,
Your mix ,generally, is great but your EQ decisions at the vocal track is not as much "sweet" as i expected from you. You can also listen your vocal track in "solo" and find some disturbing noises that you can cut. (I know it is difficult but cut them and then crossfade).
Speaking as a musician i liked the pause before the bass solo but i did not like the piano part in this section how intrudes this solo, i feel it so unnatural.
Merry Christmas!!!!
Very usefull comments, thank you.
For the vocals I ran a serial comp on it and somehow there were phase issues, maybe a restart would have cured that, but I choose to use it to "eq" the vocal track to somethin I liked, maybe I should have restarted ...
For the piano I wondered if I should fill the whole or leave the pause. I liked the piano fill and put it there, but I may change my mind after your post. Thank you !

Edit: I wonder what were your listenin environment ? I remember a conversation where you told you used bad headphones, and if thats the case I will take your eq advise with a grain of salt Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(23-12-2013, 10:20 PM)Voelund Wrote: Very usefull comments, thank you.
For the vocals I ran a serial comp on it and somehow there were phase issues, maybe a restart would have cured that, but I choose to use it to "eq" the vocal track to somethin I liked, maybe I should have restarted ...
For the piano I wondered if I should fill the whole or leave the pause. I liked the piano fill and put it there, but I may change my mind after your post. Thank you !

Edit: I wonder what were your listenin environment ? I remember a conversation where you told you used bad headphones, and if thats the case I will take your eq advise with a grain of salt Big Grin

Yes, that's right. i'm using the same headphones and i must not be so critical.(But a lot of people listen the music by the same means, cheap headphones, cheap monitors, cheap hi-fi). But, speaking about music, it is not necessary to fill the gaps. The pauses add music to music. "Silence is gold". Ok, you like this piano riff and i like coffee. I must add coffee to my tea or spaghetti? Big Grin

(24-12-2013, 12:19 AM)Aris Wrote: Yes, that's right. i'm using the same headphones and i must not be so critical.(But a lot of people listen the music by the same means, cheap headphones, cheap monitors, cheap hi-fi). But, speaking about music, it is not necessary to fill the gaps. The pauses add music to music. "Silence is gold". Ok, you like this piano riff and i like coffee. I must add coffee to my tea or spaghetti? Big Grin

Agree most listnin environments arent ideal. So the mixer got to make an average eq, so it will play well on most, or master it for itunes :-)

For the musical judgement whether to add a phrase or let the silence speak I shall gladly agree again I might have misjudged that. I had a doubt in my mind when addin it, and I guess the lesson to be learned from that is to take that little inner voice serious, when in doubt try not to add.
They also say less is more ...

I´ll let you be the judge whether you prefer tea with porridge or in the sauce or maybe as you said, you like coffee better :-) Or not at all.

Merry christmas
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Sorry for the late reaction. Christmas time is distrubing hobbies badly.

Very good mix.

Sounds great and balanced to me.

Vocals nicely relaxed, just the way it should be.

Bg vocals position only on left disturbed me slightly, (but just very little) as no close instrument is balancing them on the right. (I was listening with headphones.) As close guitar and bg-vocals are on the same side, it feels as if there's happening more on the left on those areas.

I missed the shaker at 01:00. Is it muted or very low level?

I like the way the violins come at 1:50

02:00 vocal is struggling of the front position.

In solo the bass is nicely in front, but still a pair with bg-vocals. Sounds good to me.

Your added fills worked very fine, as I didn't realize at first where they were. I had to compare to my mix, to find out what you had added.
No need for apologies Olli. Thank you for takin time to listen. I value hour comments as I either learn from them or get a smile on my face. Both are things I like.

You are the first noticing vocals drown in middle piece. I agree.
For the panning I get your idea. I pan per instinct and as I seldom listen on headphones, only on my phone, it isnt a big issue for me. I know you like the stereo field to be balanced and make wonderful mixes that way. Then again I could make it me signature in mixing, havin a sideheavy pan with nothing balancing ...

Thank you for the input and ideas !
Hi!
Very good job! (The best version I listened to until now, to my ears.)

I like the balance of vocals, drums and bass - surely better than in my own mix Wink Your improvements / additions work very well, I think. (Although I was surprised at the missing bass in the bass solo, but this ist just because I was used to hearing it there ... )

Listening to the song one time, I find nothing here to need urgent improvement - cool!
Best regards,
Christian