Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All souls moon - voelund
Beautiful song and fine lyrics. Halfway through mixin it I realised it were most familiar to a song I wrote some years ago so that made it an even more familiar mixin experience, also the bassolo and voice part reminds me of a recordin years where I played a guitar solo and the female singer wanted to add dodoos to it, and it fitted very well. In my mind thats how it were created here too.

For the mix it took some weeks as I have only little time being here in my music cave these days.
I dared listen to some fine mixes of this, Ollis for one and had to work hard to live up to that. The drums were hard to lvl, either too weak or too much rock, but I think they fit now.
Masterin it I realised there were some clicks and mouth noises on the leadvocal track so I cleand that as the last thing, and I am sorry and dont try this at home Big Grin

The tracks sound beautiful on their own, just listen to Ollis version without eq, but I made some subtractive eq and a few slight boosts to separate things more and had especially the wurlitzer automated and added a little more comp to it, as it disturbed in places, though it sounds good. That also made me move a little fanfare it playes during solo, I moved it to the build up for the solo, and I think that works better for the song, nobodys louder than the country singer and noone play fills during solos, well, not this time :-)

My creative instinct told me the 2nd guitars beautiful line during middle 8 needed some reinforcement so I played a humble mellotronflute and left a little piece over in last verse.

You may hit me with critisism as I may deserve that, changin so much of the song, but to my defense I have to say I had fun doin so.

Almost forgot - also edited the basnote at 3.16 Big Grin

.mp3    All souls moon 05 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 8.38 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I think you've done a great job here. I love the bg vocals' sound you've achieved in the mix!
mixing since April 2013
Thank you ! Do you find the guitar too loud or ok ?
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I think it's perfect. I found the song to be a very relaxing one, and I remember thinking, after listening to your mix, that the instruments volume were the right ones for such a relaxing song.
mixing since April 2013
Nice sounding mix I like it Wink !
Good Job !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Glad you like it - thank you Big Grin
Very nice. The violins sound great Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
I think is right on .. the tracks are well placed .. how ever I was looking for a cool cut up mix that you are so well know for but this work well cause it just ant that kind of song but that don't mean don't try iam sure you could come up with something really cool somewhere ..
Thx Mik :-) Lookin for cut up tracks ? take a look at this. Its one verse, one chorus and cut to pieces and repeated :-)

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=2810

And this one has 2nd chorus vocal moved 1/2 bar, really makes a beautiful call response

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=3344
Thinkin about it I did move a würlitzer part, just before solo is actually played during solo, and I made a longer 2nd track for the violin in the outro - so there are a little cut up in this one 2, I cant help it :-)