Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerve - Living lie (Buddaka mix/master)
Hello folks,
 i am new to this site and obviously it's my first upload here. I recently discovered this thanks to a friend and i'm glad i found it. 
Looking forward hearing other peoples mixes and masters and hopefully learn a thing or two. Hope you enjoy my take on this song. 
Have a wonderful day!

https://soundcloud.com/buddaka/living-li...terfree-dl
Thanks for mixing the track Buddaka - having a listen now

- like your mix vision - definitely a rock attitude, but also with a lot of atmosphere
- kick drum - 1 of the 2 main points I would make - try playing with the time alignment of this track with the room or overheads - which ever is the prominent one in your mix - I think you will get a more solid kick sound out of the deal - without the time alignment, it sounds a little bit like a flam to me.
- also take a listen to the kick when it comes in vs. the space on the other elements - feels stark to me. Taste comment.
- limiting - I think you are losing a bit of impact in the bridge and chorus - I feel the restraint of the limiter somehow. I am not an expert in this area, but wondering if some master bus compression and a little less limiting would help the dynamics out a bit
- really digging the "jam" vibe of the mix
- vocal seems well treated - I am assuming some automation is in there - hearing it well
- middle section is cool - like it
- outro - like the jam vibe again. Take a closed eye listen to the cymbals in the balance - they feel prominent to me and the lead guitar feels pushed back.

Thanks again for mixing our song - I hope these observations are helpful !

Thomas
(17-06-2020, 09:04 PM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: Thanks for mixing the track Buddaka - having a listen now

- like your mix vision - definitely a rock attitude, but also with a lot of atmosphere
- kick drum - 1 of the 2 main points I would make - try playing with the time alignment of this track with the room or overheads - which ever is the prominent one in your mix - I think you will get a more solid kick sound out of the deal - without the time alignment, it sounds a little bit like a flam to me.
- also take a listen to the kick when it comes in vs. the space on the other elements - feels stark to me.  Taste comment.
- limiting - I think you are losing a bit of impact in the bridge and chorus - I feel the restraint of the limiter somehow.  I am not an expert in this area, but wondering if some master bus compression and a little less limiting would help the dynamics out a bit
- really digging the "jam" vibe of the mix
- vocal seems well treated - I am assuming some automation is in there - hearing it well
- middle section is cool - like it
- outro - like the jam vibe again.  Take a closed eye listen to the cymbals in the balance - they feel prominent to me and the lead guitar feels pushed back.

Thanks again for mixing our song - I hope these observations are helpful !

Thomas

Hi Thomas, thanks a lot for having a listen and your valuable indepth feedback. I indeed struggled with the kick, especially how it sounded in the intro, i think i left the overheads out there, tbh not sure why i did that. Also completely agree on the use of the limiter. I have the bad habit of pushing it too hard on most of my tracks to get to a lufs -6db, it's a real bad habit i should get rid of, especially in this genre. haha
The vocals have some volume automation and some reverb send automation, think that's it. Soothe2 also helped on the vocals and the totality of the mix. Really a powerful plugin. The cymbals sound indeed too loud, even though i didn't hear it on my speakers at first, on another sound system they really did. Should check my mixes on more media in the future. I really appreciate the feedback and the chance you give us peeps to mix this beautiful song.Really had fun with it. Big ups!