Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SILONA (MIX 2)
woah.. these are way too many tracks. It's a dense mix so be careful. You don't need all tracks.. pick your best sounding mic for each instrument that has 2 mic recording and go from there. For the drums just make sure you don't overuse your room mics and your trash mics.. those are dangerous when used too much.

anyways here is my first take I hope you guys can throw some pointers at me. Probably gonna mess with delays and automation later

update 2: fixed some resonating freq. in the bass cleaned the kick a bit.. drop the levels of vocals as they were actually too loud.. boosted the synth solo.. overall I just messed with balances for better mix.

.mp3    SilonaSong.mp3 --  (Download: 8.19 MB)

.mp3    SilonaSong2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.19 MB)

.mp3    SilonaSong3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.19 MB)

I've kinda lost track of this song so it's hard to say what's what. I like the simplified intro. Personally I took the reference mix too much to heart and used that as a guide. I like this cleaner intro.

Overall, as I'm listening it feels a bit "wooly". I'm not sure if that adjective comes across. The bass guitar is a bit over powering. It tends to dominate the mix. I think everything else feels ok but the bass kind of takes my focus.
(14-06-2020, 02:26 PM)RoyM Wrote: Overall, as I'm listening it feels a bit "wooly". I'm not sure if that adjective comes across. The bass guitar is a bit over powering. It tends to dominate the mix. I think everything else feels ok but the bass kind of takes my focus.

I hear you.. yes now hearing it in my car (good bass reference) there is some muddy thump in the bass.. kick could also be a problem but is mostly the bass.. I will clean up some of that later. About the volume I feel this song needed more bass.. for some reason many mixes of this song had very little bass.. idk I'm probably crazy but I was listening to reggae music before mixing this lol. Maybe that's why.

I shall clean that up a bit. Thanks Roy.
I kind of agree. The song could use some bass. It's so airy that it could use some grounding. The reference version has a very high end bass sound. Which I actually really liked. Since you mentioned it, in my past ska/reggae days it would be called "stick bass" which i suppose it has a different meaning these days. But it was a clean guitar doubling the bass so the part would be heard on cheap speakers.

I think your instincts are right with this one.
cleaned some of the bottom end.
Hey Shul ,
Listening to Version 2 ,It sounds well balanced on my monitors.
The intro sounds great with the pianos ,guitars and synths.
When the tom's come in , the bottom end is quite heavy in context with the buld up of the intro maybe roll off some bottom end or tame below 40-50 hz area to fit in with the cool vibe of the intro.
Did you use the bass amp or just the DI ?
When the bass guitar comes in sounds a touch full around the 900hz and 200hz area .
Nice work
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I can hear what you mean about the Tom's.
As for the bass... Dang I thought it was a major improvement over the first mix.. I did scooped around 150 hz.. heavy.. but I'll solo the bass with a few other tracks and see what's going on with the 200hz area.. thanks for the input don!!
Piano is very dominant and boxy.Kick and snare are a bit weak .Bass frequencies are very dense.So your mix seems muddy.Maybe lacks of clarity.In short your mix is flat but I cant feel the soul and energy.Hope that helps.
(23-06-2020, 08:06 PM)Mammy Wrote: Piano is very dominant and boxy.Kick and snare  are a bit weak .Bass frequencies are very dense.So your mix seems muddy.Maybe lacks of clarity.In short your mix is flat but I cant feel the soul and energy.Hope that helps.
thanks for the input mammy
3 version is pretty good! not sure i love the effect on the vocals double, seems to stick out in an odd way. I really like the lead vocal tone at the start but i think you could automate the level of it to just sit on top of the track for the duration as it gets slightly buried at points. Id also say that you could take out some low mids in the bass and kick to make the low end feel abit "deeper".

Big fan of the simplified intro!