Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Tyo - Long Way Home
I made this mix please listen and say something.
Used plugins:

Mixing: Fabfilter Gate, Fabfilter Q3, Fabfilter Multiband, dbx Comp, RC 24 ans 48 reverb

Master: The Black Comp, EQ-81 and Stealth Limiter

.mp3    David Tyo - Long Way Home.mp3 --  (Download: 6.91 MB)

Hey joseprestes,

Some comments below for you to consider. Keep in mind that these are my opinions based on how I like to mix.

You have the foundation for a nice sounding mix here.The instruments and vocals are sonically well-placed (yours seems to be one of the few mixes that hasn't compressed the snot out of the vocals) however, I think you may have gone overboard with the compression on your master bus, and killed the 'openness' of the song. This has caused the bass to be too dominant and also pushed things like your BV's, piano and slide guitar way too far back in the mix - at least for my taste.

For me, this is the kind of track that needs openness and space to breathe, since there are a lot of small intricate details that need to come through. For context, the compressor on my master bus is set for about 1-2dB gain reduction on the quiet passages and 2-4dB on the louder passages at 2:1 ratio.
thanks Wink
Hi Jose! The thing that stands out to me is too much low end, the bass dominates everything else. There might be a lack of low end to your monitoring system, so you overcompensate in the mixing.