Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Radio - You & Me & The Radio [Mix & Master]
(16-06-2020, 06:18 PM)alexjeffriesproducer Wrote: Really appreciate you taking the time to come back to me on this! This is the whole reason why I posted my mix up, so don't worry your feedback is SUPER helpful and in no way am I shying away from it.

The vocal tone change was something I was battling throughout, trying some dynamic EQ to make those changes less apparent - but genuinely didn't think to split the vocal into separates for Verse and Chorus - I'll definitely take that tip onboard. 

I've realised more recently when listening back to previous work that I've done, I do tend to make fairly dry mixes, so I'm glad that you've highlighted that too. Again something for me to think about next time.

If memory serves me well I think I did push some 400Hz on the mixbus with the Slate CS-EQ (love that module)... dare I say that could be the source of low-mid build up you are referring to.

I think overall your comments have highlighted I just need to add some character, maybe some earcandy, and just put my stamp on this thing!
Just out of interest can I ask how you were listening to my mixes? I'm currently on my home setup, which I'm still getting adjusted to.

Cheers  Smile
No problem. I can be acerbic at times but mostly I mean well. Especially, if I think the mix or mixer or whoever can give more.

Splitting the vocal is something I try to do most of the time these days. This video by Tony Maserati really sums it up well.
https://youtu.be/SheIgGbB-5s
Plus, I tend to hate automating things so it's just easier to have a different track with a different sound. It also puts me in a different headspace to see the chorus on it's own track. It's a little reminder to focus on the hook.

Dry mixes are fine. Some songs should be totally dry. Others need something more. This just feels like one of those songs that don't need subtlety.

These days I only have access to my Apple earbuds. For mixing and listening. I'm just used to them at this point.

Cheers

Messages In This Thread
RE: Human Radio - You & Me & The Radio [Mix & Master] - by Roy - 16-06-2020, 06:37 PM