Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Radio - You & Me & The Radio [Mix & Master]
I've been slowly making my way through the multi-tracks available on the Telefunken website, and this track really stuck out to me!

The instrumentation really makes this track, so I had a few different balances initially, but opted for this mix, for maximum impact in the Chorus/Solo sections.

A couple of things to note: 
I did enhance the kick and snare with some GGD samples using Slate Trigger 2 (approx 15% mix), just to add a bit of thickness and some room tone. 

Getting the instruments to work together in this track was the biggest challenge - I opted to push the keys a bit more than a lot of other mixes I've heard. 

If you guys have any questions about my mixing decisions, plugin chains, or any feedback, please feel free to drop me a line! 

I'll be checking into the other posts to see what I can learn from everyone else's mixes!

Here's a little idea of how I setup my session: 

Thanks for reading and listening,
Alex

Reference Track(s): Deaf Havana - Kings Road Ghosts
DAW: Logic Pro X (10.4.1)
Plug-ins: Waves, Slate Digital, Slate Trigger, iZotope, SoundToys, Antares

More from me:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alexjeffriesproducer
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alexjeffriesproducer
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/alexjeffriesproducer
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Bsm3hlRoeVJd8uzPSsfOg

.mp3    Human Radio - You & Me & The Radio - MASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 11.16 MB)

well done there! Enjoying the stereo width work you've done there. I'll check your YT video soon too.
It feels a bit "cardboard". In general the balance is ok but it's a bit boring. It's a start but more could be done to catch the listener. There's that "telephone filter" after the bridge. Maybe the worst point to include it. I dunno. It's a start but could be better. C+
(08-06-2020, 07:22 PM)silona Wrote: well done there! Enjoying the stereo width work you've done there. I'll check your YT video soon too.
Thanks for checking out my mix! Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about any processing I used - always happy to share!  Smile
(08-06-2020, 10:23 PM)RoyM Wrote: It feels a bit "cardboard". In general the balance is ok but it's a bit boring. It's a start but more could be done to catch the listener. There's that "telephone filter" after the bridge. Maybe the worst point to include it. I dunno. It's a start but could be better. C+
Thanks for your honest feedback. In your opinion what would you say would push it from a "C+" mix to an "A" - interested to hear your insight/ideas?

Personally I really like the telephone effect in the bridge - I purposely put it there to make that Chorus back in really hit. I toyed with adding it in a few more spots, I mean c'mon the song is called "You & Me & The Radio", the name is on the tin. Do you think that would level it up?

I could definitely chuck in some more automation moves from section to section, or even exaggerate some moves/FX etc.

Look forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers Smile
(16-06-2020, 12:54 PM)alexjeffriesproducer Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 10:23 PM)RoyM Wrote: It feels a bit "cardboard". In general the balance is ok but it's a bit boring. It's a start but more could be done to catch the listener. There's that "telephone filter" after the bridge. Maybe the worst point to include it. I dunno. It's a start but could be better. C+
Thanks for your honest feedback. In your opinion what would you say would push it from a "C+" mix to an "A" - interested to hear your insight/ideas?

Personally I really like the telephone effect in the bridge - I purposely put it there to make that Chorus back in really hit. I toyed with adding it in a few more spots, I mean c'mon the song is called "You & Me & The Radio", the name is on the tin. Do you think that would level it up?

I could definitely chuck in some more automation moves from section to section, or even exaggerate some moves/FX etc.

Look forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers Smile
Meh, maybe I was in a bad mood. Then tone of my reply might seem a little harsh. But part of mixing is being able to not take things personally and roll with the punches. And the C+ was more of a personal joke that I should realized people don’t know. So I apologize if it was a bit much.

I re-listened a few of times this morning and in general I stand by my notes. It feels like a real solid base to start from but has issues. It's not bad but could be better.

Tonally, there’s a bit of thickness in the lower mid area that adds to the ‘cardbordi-ness’ I referred to before. It’s a bit dry in general. This makes the song feel a little “plodding”. I think for the most part all of the instruments sound good but as a whole things tend to build up in the mids and sucks some of the energy and distinctness from the parts.

Thematically, it should be a driving, moving song, literally, and it doesn’t feel like it gets up to speed. It could be a little leaner and have some points on the way to catch the listener’s ear more. The choruses tend to pick up the energy, mostly by the vocal part, but then lose it. Parts like the, background vocals or the vocal hook are relatively back or buried. The solos, feel ‘shy’ and restrained. 

The radio effect on the bridge doesn’t really nail a radio sound. Lyrically, it’s an intimate point in the song that gets devalued by the effect. Musically, it already dynamically comes back before the last chorus and I’m not sure it needs the help of that effect. The impact is already there. I get the desire to add a radio sound to the track but there aren’t many opportunities. Maybe the intro but that might have to be extended for it to work. The only real spot is the background vocals in the chorus since that’s when he references the radio. Or maybe on the lead vocal on last line of the chorus which seems to get a bit lost. A fade out of the mix to a radio sound might be cool. There’s over a minute of instrumental section which is them driving off and not much going on. Play the mix over a speaker and crossfade? Easy enough. Now I’m just blue skying.

I like the bass, I like the piano, I generally like the vocal. When he gets quiet he gets a bit ‘wooly’. When he pushes his tone changes and probably gets farther from the mic and it works a bit better. But that can be easily tweaked with automation or separating the verse and chorus sections on different tracks. 

It feels unfinished and I think as a listener what I'm missing bothers me more than what's there. 

I dunno. 
Really appreciate you taking the time to come back to me on this! This is the whole reason why I posted my mix up, so don't worry your feedback is SUPER helpful and in no way am I shying away from it.

The vocal tone change was something I was battling throughout, trying some dynamic EQ to make those changes less apparent - but genuinely didn't think to split the vocal into separates for Verse and Chorus - I'll definitely take that tip onboard. 

I've realised more recently when listening back to previous work that I've done, I do tend to make fairly dry mixes, so I'm glad that you've highlighted that too. Again something for me to think about next time.

If memory serves me well I think I did push some 400Hz on the mixbus with the Slate CS-EQ (love that module)... dare I say that could be the source of low-mid build up you are referring to.

I think overall your comments have highlighted I just need to add some character, maybe some earcandy, and just put my stamp on this thing!
Just out of interest can I ask how you were listening to my mixes? I'm currently on my home setup, which I'm still getting adjusted to.

Cheers  Smile
(16-06-2020, 06:18 PM)alexjeffriesproducer Wrote: Really appreciate you taking the time to come back to me on this! This is the whole reason why I posted my mix up, so don't worry your feedback is SUPER helpful and in no way am I shying away from it.

The vocal tone change was something I was battling throughout, trying some dynamic EQ to make those changes less apparent - but genuinely didn't think to split the vocal into separates for Verse and Chorus - I'll definitely take that tip onboard. 

I've realised more recently when listening back to previous work that I've done, I do tend to make fairly dry mixes, so I'm glad that you've highlighted that too. Again something for me to think about next time.

If memory serves me well I think I did push some 400Hz on the mixbus with the Slate CS-EQ (love that module)... dare I say that could be the source of low-mid build up you are referring to.

I think overall your comments have highlighted I just need to add some character, maybe some earcandy, and just put my stamp on this thing!
Just out of interest can I ask how you were listening to my mixes? I'm currently on my home setup, which I'm still getting adjusted to.

Cheers  Smile
No problem. I can be acerbic at times but mostly I mean well. Especially, if I think the mix or mixer or whoever can give more.

Splitting the vocal is something I try to do most of the time these days. This video by Tony Maserati really sums it up well.
https://youtu.be/SheIgGbB-5s
Plus, I tend to hate automating things so it's just easier to have a different track with a different sound. It also puts me in a different headspace to see the chorus on it's own track. It's a little reminder to focus on the hook.

Dry mixes are fine. Some songs should be totally dry. Others need something more. This just feels like one of those songs that don't need subtlety.

These days I only have access to my Apple earbuds. For mixing and listening. I'm just used to them at this point.

Cheers
Just checked out the video - very eloquently explained as ever! Will certainly try this out on my next session.

RE: the Apple earbuds - I've just checked using some too and I can hear it now... it certainly pays to listen on all devices.

Thanks again