Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cage mix (FINAL MIX)
Well I went with the bright vibe in the hopes I didn't over do it. I was listening to some references and my mixes were too dull... anyhow I'll post this as the final for now and take a break from this song. Let me know If it sucks or if it's better than the other 2.

.mp3    Cage.mp3 --  (Download: 12.3 MB)

.mp3    Cage2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.97 MB)

.mp3    Cage3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.3 MB)

Great Mix ! I like the lower pitched vocal effect Smile The only thing I would change, is the Snare. It sounds so far away that it's getting burried in the mix. Maybe give it a little bit more body / low end, to get it more upfront and the reverb only making it feel big and full, but still upfront. I hope you understand what I mean Big Grin
I've not really looked into this. What makes it hard to mix? Not a challenge, just curious.

I'm typing this as I'm listening. I like the punch of the drums. Actually I feel the snare is fairly up front, at least at the top, maybe it could come up when the overall band kicks in, but to me doesn't feel buried.

My main note is I can't say I can make out a single word of the lyrics. They're very unclear.

I can't say I'm noticing a lower pitched effect.

I think for the most part, sonically, it gets the point across. But the lyrics are blurry. I feel like I'm presenting this poorly.

Keep an ear on the sibilance.
(06-06-2020, 09:32 PM)Astrovader Wrote: Great Mix ! I like the lower pitched vocal effect Smile The only thing I would change, is the Snare. It sounds so far away that it's getting burried in the mix. Maybe  give it a little bit more body / low end, to get it more upfront and the reverb only making it feel big and full, but still upfront. I hope you understand what I mean Big Grin
Noted.. I will see what I can change about it.
(06-06-2020, 09:58 PM)RoyM Wrote: I've not really looked into this. What makes it hard to mix? Not a challenge, just curious.

Vocals are a pain to mix.. it was hard for me to make sense of the guitars and vocals mix and how to set them up. As you can see the chorus has a problem of clarity due to the vocals.. mic used for recording had a very present sibilance and the essing is quite a bit to deal with. ( I didn't for the most part I just put heavy compression on vocals to control the dynamics and just cut some of the essing by eq. I should try a de esser)
toms have no way of standing out other than boosting volume, at least the easy way would be volume boost right? so between the guitars and bass toms are really hard to set in, at least for me.
last but not least the kick in my opinion doesn't really sound like a kick that would go with the recording.. the kick you hear on my mix whas messed with alot with eq and compression.

It might be a hard mix for me but you should give it a try maybe is not so bad for you Roy. Thanks for the input!!! I really appreciate the feedback of a good mixer.
hi. sounds kinda ok, but did you nearly omit cymbals on purpose? the main riff guitars seem to have some rumble going on? in general sounds very well thought of, but not perhaps at your usual quality level? ^_^
(07-06-2020, 04:35 AM)Shul Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 09:58 PM)RoyM Wrote: I've not really looked into this. What makes it hard to mix? Not a challenge, just curious.

Vocals are a pain to mix.. it was hard for me to make sense of the guitars and vocals mix and how to set them up. As you can see the chorus has a problem of clarity due to the vocals.. mic used for recording had a very present sibilance and the essing is quite a bit to deal with. ( I didn't for the most part I just put heavy compression on vocals to control the dynamics and just cut some of the essing by eq. I should try a de esser)
toms have no way of standing out other than boosting volume, at least the easy way would be volume boost right? so between the guitars and bass toms are really hard to set in, at least for me.
last but not least the kick in my opinion doesn't really sound like a kick that would go with the recording.. the kick you hear on my mix whas messed with alot with eq and compression.

It might be a hard mix for me but you should give it a try maybe is not so bad for you Roy. Thanks for the input!!! I really appreciate the feedback of a good mixer.

Cool. I'll check it out.
Sorry if that all sounded harsh. I was in a bad mood. And just to clarify in my post when I said "not a challenge" I wasn't referring to the mix but meaning I wasn't trying to press you as to why the mix was challenging. I didn't want to come off as "you think this mix is hard? It's not!" and sounding cocky but I may have done so accidentally.
For the record you're very skilled and have consistently made great mixes, certainly mores than I, especially for the heavier songs and I always make a note to listen to things you've worked on.  If you say the tracks are hard to mix then they are and that's why I wanted your input so I know what to keep and ear out for.

So I apologize if that all came off badly. I meant no disrespect.

Oh, and I've never heard the term "bass toms" before but I love it. If I ever record again I might label a track that way. I can never tell what "Tom 1, 2, 3" is anyway. I have a few issues with how we label drum tracks these days. Sorry to rant. I still might be in a bad mood. Coffee might help. As penance I'll work on this one today.

Cheers.
Just my two cents, I think a healthy high shelf boost on the chorus rhythm guitars will help a lot. Right now they sound very boomy in the low mid, drowning out the toms and making choruses hit kinda underwhelmingly. Also, no cymbals make things sounds even more awkward, I never thought of that, really took them for granted, lol. Also I think the vocals will do fine with a bit more compression. They don't sound that sibilant to me(?). If possible though, don't fix sibilance solely by EQ. Use a good deesser instead, they are more dynamic and will let you keep the nice sheen on vocals while doing their job. Try those out, I hope they are of help!

btw, check out my mix, too. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. or at least you'll hear what I'm talking about here.

Looking forward to hear 2nd revision! Never give up.
lmao... holy crap I din't even seen the cymbals where muted. sorry they where giving me problems with the vocals so I thought "let me mute the cynbals real quick" totally forgot to unmute when mixed down...

Kapu and bcs points taken I shall clean up some of that rumble.. or try at least.
Roy no offence taken I always take comments with a positive attitute.

Thanks guys!
Hi Shul Smile To me its a big no to only have di's in a metal song. Feels like the start of the song is very weak and stale sort of, needs some attitude in some way. When the guitars come in at refrain they feel very muddy, like theres a lid on them. Cymbals are gone as i can hear. Kick is punchy in lowend though.