Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angelo Boltini: 'This Town' kapu mix
Second mix is pretty cool and well balanced tonally overall (especially like the drum tone), but feels very bare without the strings and bv's. Think the lead vocal gets lost from time to time as well but the synth prominence gives this a totally different feel which i like. Just doesn't quite come together for me, I think you would have a great mix if you could find space for the strings and bv's !
Hi Kapu love the vocal process man.
Reaper user
(12-07-2020, 04:37 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Kapu love the vocal process man.

thanks! made room for the vocal in arrangement. ^_^
Hi kapu! I prefer the first mix. Pretty well balanced. Good Job!
(14-07-2020, 11:01 AM)mike84 Wrote: Hi kapu! I prefer the first mix. Pretty well balanced. Good Job!

thank you for listening! i totally agree. ^_^
(01-06-2020, 11:25 AM)kapu Wrote: Song was nice. ^_^
I am brand new to mixing. After a few years of collecting plugins and hardware, I think it is time to sit down and learn. From the outset, and from a listener perspective with no mixing knowledge, I liked how you picked the tracks, and not used all of them. I really enjoyed it from a purely non-technical standpoint.

I am very curious how you managed to tame the lead vocals. The raw take is very wild! I am going to guess I need clip gain to start, but the issue I am having with clip gain is once I start on other tracks, it sounds very unnatural. Mainly because I cannot seem to get it "exact". For lack of a better term. Another issue is the three different takes that are not aligned. I am very tempted to buy Vocalign Pro, because this project reminded me that might be a good investment for later down the road as I get better at this. Was it different takes, or overdubs? I could not tell.

Thank you for your time.
(15-11-2021, 07:25 PM)Moldy Burrito Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 11:25 AM)kapu Wrote: Song was nice. ^_^
I am brand new to mixing. After a few years of collecting plugins and hardware, I think it is time to sit down and learn. From the outset, and from a listener perspective with no mixing knowledge, I liked how you picked the tracks, and not used all of them. I really enjoyed it from a purely non-technical standpoint.

I am very curious how you managed to tame the lead vocals. The raw take is very wild! I am going to guess I need clip gain to start, but the issue I am having with clip gain is once I start on other tracks, it sounds very unnatural. Mainly because I cannot seem to get it "exact". For lack of a better term. Another issue is the three different takes that are not aligned. I am very tempted to buy Vocalign Pro, because this project reminded me that might be a good investment for later down the road as I get better at this. Was it different takes, or overdubs? I could not tell.

Thank you for your time.

Hi! Sorry for the delayed response.

Can't remember how the vocals were done exactly, but I would guess the main tool here was quite heavy handed compression > eq > de-essing. And then probably 'manual gating', meaning removing silent parts with editing, to suppress noise.