Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Widow - btheon
Hello guys,

so I recently found this awesome website with all the mixing examples and thought I need to get to work immediately Big Grin

So I made litte mix from The Widow.
Some opinions would be GREATLY appreciated !

Cheers from Germany !

.mp3    15.12.13_thewidow.mp3 --  (Download: 8.51 MB)

(17-12-2013, 07:32 PM)btheon Wrote: Cheers from Germany !

Ditto Smile and welcome to the forum! Nice clear-sounding tonality you've got going here, with gritty drums, which I always like. The biggest concerns I have are balancing issues. Firstly the "stay, stay..." backing vocals feel far too quiet, given that they actually have independent lyrics. They really need to be as audible as the lead, in order to tell the story of the song.

Then the bongo sample in the middle section seems rather too loud. I quite like the idea of rebalancing in its favour there, because it's such a quirky sound, but I think you've gone overboard with it, so that it just seems to stick out and not belong to the production as a whole somehow.

Finally, I don't quite get the sense of the choruses 'arriving', and I think that's particularly to do with the cymbal swells also being quite low in the balance. You don't need to bring them up as much as I did, by any means, but something needs to give the choruses a textural 'lift', I think, because at the moment they feel a bit too much like the verses/prechoruses.

Thanks for letting us hear your version, though -- despite the niggles, it's a vision that still makes a lot of sense in its own right.

Ah ! So you're from Germany too, good to know Big Grin
I still think its best if we keep writing english so that the other users can
also read the stuff we are discussing and such !

I really really appreciate your opinion and tips.
As a matter of fact, they are a bit eye-opening for me because I dont have that much experience in mixing stuff and I tend to overhear things after a while.

You're right about the chorus too, it doesn't really lift off and I will work on that.

Thanks for your opinion and I'm looking forward to mix more and upload it here so that i can build confindence and get better and better.
(Also i have so much fun when I'm mixing those songs. Its just so much better than playing a game or something Big Grin)