Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm never gonna love a mono feel
At one point I did a another mix in this genre, where I'd panned the guitars and vocals as I usally do. Somebody told me that it's a big no-no for this particular genre, the genre aficionados apparently likes mono, so I didn't do a whole lot of panning this time. I'm not crazy about the feel of it and ... well, in general I'm not that crazy with the guitar tracks, it sounds to me like the mics have been placed super far away from the source ... anyhow, here're your lemmons ...
Tips, tricks and comments are much appreciated

.mp3    Wires - Red On You.mp3 --  (Download: 8.48 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
I dunno. I think stereo is good. I suspect that the distaste for stereo in the genre may have to do with things being solely on one side or another. Like a late 60s thing. I'd assume they wouldn't want 'mono' but 'monolithic'. If that makes sense. The guitar parts pretty much double each other so it's still kinda mono if they were hard panned. I think tonally it works but gets a bit chaotic with everything in mono. It's a messy song as is. Panning the guitars might help to spread the chaos around. Or, if you want it to be mono, drop a guitar. Which would be the better, more interesting option.
(26-05-2020, 02:26 AM)RoyM Wrote: I dunno. I think stereo is good. I suspect that the distaste for stereo in the genre may have to do with things being solely on one side or another. Like a late 60s thing. I'd assume they wouldn't want 'mono' but 'monolithic'. If that makes sense. The guitar parts pretty much double each other so it's still kinda mono if they were hard panned. I think tonally it works but gets a bit chaotic with everything in mono. It's a messy song as is. Panning the guitars might help to spread the chaos around. Or, if you want it to be mono, drop a guitar. Which would be the better, more interesting option.
Thanks

It does get very chaotic and I hate that. Obviously the nature of the song doesn't do my any favours either. Anyhow, skipping a guitar is a brilliant idea, I'll definitely keep that in mind here on out.

#nosubnoshow
I get it. I think. I honestly don't ever really care about sloppiness. I never notice it. It's just such an in your face song that the music isn't music but an energy. Mix the energy. No, I'm not high. I am slightly bleeding and I'm not sure why. I'll figure that out after this. But yeah musically it's just some "droogs". It's ugly and raw and chaotic and that's what needs the focus. The song is an assault. A brutish, immature assault. Back that up.

It is a brilliant idea, isn't it? lol. I am curious how the song would sound with one guitar. I've already punted it off my drive. Maybe I'll download it again. Or just go to bed.

E: Ok the blood was from a hangnail. I don't feel so cool now.
Also it does feel good and in the spirit of the song. I just think the guitars being panned wouldn't hurt. It's a fine mix but could use some air. If for nothing but contrast.
(26-05-2020, 03:23 AM)RoyM Wrote: I get it. I think. I honestly don't ever really care about sloppiness. I never notice it. It's just such an in your face song that the music isn't music but an energy. Mix the energy. No, I'm not high. I am slightly bleeding and I'm not sure why. I'll figure that out after this. But yeah musically it's just some "droogs". It's ugly and raw and chaotic and that's what needs the focus. The song is an assault. A brutish, immature assault. Back that up.

It is a brilliant idea, isn't it? lol. I am curious how the song would sound with one guitar. I've already punted it off my drive. Maybe I'll download it again. Or just go to bed.

E: Ok the blood was from a hangnail. I don't feel so cool now.
Anemic mysteric solved ... well done Wink

I've also wiped the song from my drive, so I can't really try the idea on this song,  next time however ...

#nosubnoshow
(26-05-2020, 12:55 AM)Krabbe Wrote: At one point I did a another mix in this genre, where I'd panned the guitars and vocals as I usally do. Somebody told me that it's a big no-no for this particular genre, the genre aficionados apparently likes mono, so I didn't do a whole lot of panning this time. I'm not crazy about the feel of it and ... well, in general I'm not that crazy with the guitar tracks, it sounds to me like the mics have been placed super far away from the source ... anyhow, here're your lemmons ...

Overall, a pretty solid mix but I think there is too much low mids which is making it sound a bit muddy and maybe it is a touch too loud.I love the grind of the guitars and vocals.Also in this genre, double tracking(1 guitar panned Left and 1 guitar panned Right) and quad tracking (2 guitar panned Left and 2 guitar panned Right) is really common so idk what that guy was talking about.But generally lead vocals are in the center so maybe that was what he was talking about?
(26-05-2020, 12:43 PM)jorhaowei Wrote:
(26-05-2020, 12:55 AM)Krabbe Wrote: At one point I did a another mix in this genre, where I'd panned the guitars and vocals as I usally do. Somebody told me that it's a big no-no for this particular genre, the genre aficionados apparently likes mono, so I didn't do a whole lot of panning this time. I'm not crazy about the feel of it and ... well, in general I'm not that crazy with the guitar tracks, it sounds to me like the mics have been placed super far away from the source ... anyhow, here're your lemmons ...

Overall, a pretty solid mix but I think there is too much low mids which is making it sound a bit muddy and maybe it is a touch too loud.I love the grind of the guitars and vocals.Also in this genre, double tracking(1 guitar panned Left and 1 guitar panned Right) and quad tracking (2 guitar panned Left and 2 guitar panned Right) is really common so idk what that guy was talking about.But generally lead vocals are in the center so maybe that was what he was talking about?
Thanks, I really appreciate your input. Perhaps I'll have another go at it in the future. Then I'l definitely have your input in mind.Cheers

#nosubnoshow
Hi,
I agree with jorhaowei, at first I thought about phase issues, but since you've work this song in a mono processing philosophy,I suspect low frequencies problems.
I like the energy though, especially on the vocals.
It feels like you wanted to punch someone in the face with your mix.
(29-05-2020, 06:25 PM)registered Wrote: Hi,
I agree with jorhaowei, at first I thought about phase issues, but since you've work this song in a mono processing philosophy,I suspect low frequencies problems.
I like the energy though, especially on the vocals.
It feels like you wanted to punch someone in the face with your mix.
Thank you for your time.

I haven't have the oppotunity to check the mix in an open environment, so perhaps you're right. During mixing I used a PAZ-analyzer to make sure that there wasn't any weird spikes. It is obviously low-heavy, but no frequencies going through the roof ...

I'm glad that the mix left you with a punch-in-the-face-kinda-feeling, since this is what I was going for. This was what I felt, when I heard the song.

Cheers

#nosubnoshow