Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my Nerve 9: 'Living Lie' mix
my mix

.mp3    Nerve 9-Living Lie (Artem Dadayants mix).mp3 --  (Download: 11.11 MB)

.mp3    Nerve 9-Living Lie (Artem Dadayants mix_2).mp3 --  (Download: 11.06 MB)

Hey Mart'ess,
Nice balance, work well,
Bass guitar handled nicely, Vocal sounds cool.
The only issue I have with drums. Not an easy task to deal with this session. First Snare feel too dry, disconnected despite i feel it's on the right position, it doesn't feel it support a kick.
As I mention it is not an easy task to proper balance kit in this material. As for a snare cause the transients feels jump out a lot, you could try dome limiting clipping, to push it back a little bit. More reverb could work too. Cymbals are a bit to harsh.
In overall, I feel the mix in nicely balanced, bass and guitars sounds good.
Cheers
(24-05-2020, 03:55 PM)Lethan Wrote: Hey Mart'ess,
Nice balance, work well,
Bass guitar handled nicely, Vocal sounds cool.
The only issue I have with drums. Not an easy task to deal with this session. First Snare feel too dry, disconnected despite i feel it's on the right position, it doesn't feel it support a kick.
As I mention it is not an easy task to proper balance kit in this material. As for a snare cause the transients feels jump out a lot, you could try dome limiting clipping, to push it back a little bit. More reverb could work too. Cymbals are a bit to harsh.
In overall, I feel the mix in nicely balanced, bass and guitars sounds good.
Cheers
Thanks a lot for your comment, Lethan!
Hi Mart'ess

Thanks for mixing our song - I liked the overall balance of the elements throughout. I will write down a few observations below as I listen through.
- nice balance of vocals and guitar in the start
- vocal treatment overall sounds great - most important element, so time well spent
- kick track needs time aligned. Without it, it sounds like a ghost hit - most evident when the drums start
- drum balance sounds good, but favours the overheads. There are periods where the cymbals are taking center stage as a result. These mics were less OH and more cymbal mics in actuality, so the high end of them needs some kind of treatment. Some additional kick and snare level I think would help too, especially on the back beat in the chorus where the snare can shine.
- more 200Hz in guitars? Missing some weight there.
- middle lead guitar part - this is where I hear the cymbals a lot. The lead guitar feels behind the rhythm as well to me here.
- like the middle section - sounds good
- not hearing the bass fills as much as I'd like - could be eq, or you could do a parallel distortion track and automate up the fills or other technique
- outro sounds good to me !

Thanks again for mixing the track - I do like your overall mix vision in general. I hope some of these observations are helpful to you !

BR

Thomas
(24-05-2020, 09:02 PM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: Hi Mart'ess

Thanks for mixing our song - I liked the overall balance of the elements throughout.  I will write down a few observations below as I listen through.
- nice balance of vocals and guitar in the start
- vocal treatment overall sounds great - most important element, so time well spent
- kick track needs time aligned.  Without it, it sounds like a ghost hit - most evident when the drums start
- drum balance sounds good, but favours the overheads.  There are periods where the cymbals are taking center stage as a result.  These mics were less OH and more cymbal mics in actuality, so the high end of them needs some kind of treatment.  Some additional kick and snare level I think would help too, especially on the back beat in the chorus where the snare can shine.
- more 200Hz in guitars?  Missing some weight there.
- middle lead guitar part - this is where I hear the cymbals a lot.  The lead guitar feels behind the rhythm as well to me here.
- like the middle section - sounds good
- not hearing the bass fills as much as I'd like - could be eq, or you could do a parallel distortion track and automate up the fills or other technique
- outro sounds good to me !

Thanks again for mixing the track - I do like your overall mix vision in general.  I hope some of these observations are helpful to you !

BR

Thomas
Hi Thomas.
I'm very pleased that you took the time and listened to my mix. Also very grateful for the comments.
I added a second mix with the changes.

I look forward to hearing new tracks from you!