Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I ended up with doing a complete-ish do-over
First, thanks for a nice song and some nice tracks.
Now, in order to maintain processing power, I bounced the music before mixing the vox. Stupid as I am, I deleted the fil containing the music, so ... it is as it is. I've tried to make it usable ... ish. The guitars are a bit to the dark side, and the solo is a tad too low, but ... well, is what it is.
About the vocal, I've struggled a lot with the midrange peaks in the lead vocal. I'm really not a multiband compressor fan, but perhaps that's the way to go with this?
At the moment, I've landed here and I am actually quite pleased about how the toms are feeling.
Tips tricks and comments are much appreciated.
Thanks

Update v2
As the header suggests, I, more or less, startet again from scratch. Some thing, at least I think so, are better, and others not so much ... guess it's the old story about swings and roundabouts ...

What I've done differently is ... well, I've used my PAZ-analyzer a lot more than I usually do, and then I've aimed to create a ... earbud-friendly mix. 

The lead vocal is still very midrange heavy (7-1,1khz), which I tried to tame with some multiband compression. I'm not certain that it's the right approach, because the only thing it seems to do, is moving the issues upwards in the spectrum ... how did any of you solve this?

Still, tips, tricks and comments are very welcomed.
Thanks

.mp3    Version 4.mp3 --  (Download: 9.63 MB)

.mp3    Atlantis Bound - It Was My Fault.mp3 --  (Download: 9.26 MB)

.mp3    Atlantis Bound - It Was My Fault For Waiting v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.15 MB)

I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
The mix generally feels pretty good.  Perhaps a little crowded though, especially around the vocals.  I reckon I'm hearing some frequency clashes,  there is a build up around the 200-300hz area.  Also I feel there is too much guitar around the 800 - 1k mark.  Quite noticeable on a mix cube.  A slight taming here would give the vocals some extra space. Now there's a bit going on around the 3k mark and I'm not sure if this is the area of the vocals you are concerned about, but there seems to be some resonances going on within the arrangement including the snare around this frequency.  Finding the culprits and taming them may help.  The vocal is aggressive in this area but don't believe it's completely the problem.  Hope this helps.
(24-05-2020, 02:09 AM)Dangerous Wrote: The mix generally feels pretty good.  Perhaps a little crowded though, especially around the vocals.  I reckon I'm hearing some frequency clashes,  there is a build up around the 200-300hz area.  Also I feel there is too much guitar around the 800 - 1k mark.  Quite noticeable on a mix cube.  A slight taming here would give the vocals some extra space. Now there's a bit going on around the 3k mark and I'm not sure if this is the area of the vocals you are concerned about, but there seems to be some resonances going on within the arrangement including the snare around this frequency.  Finding the culprits and taming them may help.  The vocal is aggressive in this area but don't believe it's completely the problem.  Hope this helps.
Thanks for the feedback.

According to my PAZ, there's no build up in the 2-300 area. There is, however, a 1dB boost at 200hz. Perhaps it's that you've heard as build up? Obviously, I will go back and take a listen.You're  right about the guitars in the 800-1k area, I keept the area intentionally busy, because it is in this particular area, I have vocal issues. Earlier in the process I had made a lot more room for vocal, but I felt that "all" the space made the vocal feel really unpleasant. This is propably also an effect of the fact that I never found the right EQ for the job; it always ended up sounding as one huge phase-FU.

It's 
also guitar you're hearing in the 3k-area. As I wrote, I accidentally the files containing the band, so I had few correctional options. Since the guitar were low-passed a bit too aggressively, I had to give them a little boost at this area as counter weight. 

I appreciate your time and feedback. I guess the only way to fix this is though a do-over.
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow