Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerve 9: 'Living Lie'
Hi guys,
Here is my mix. Not an easy track to mix. Let me know what do you think, where to improve. Cheers

Edit:
DroppingĀ  ver2. Let's call it "final". Any feedback very welcome.

.mp3    nerve9_ver1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.12 MB)

.mp3    nerve9_ver2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.22 MB)

Hi Lethan

Thanks for mixing our track ! I will write down my observations below as I listen through. I will have the bias that I know this song well as well as the process to get to the reference mix.

- nice atmosphere to kick off the track
- vocal 3-5 kHz - a bit prominent - reached to turn down volume while listening a little. I know the part needs some multiband compression or dynamic eq or other weapon of choice to treat that region.
- nice verse guitar effects
- like your drum balance
- bass sound works well - nice balance of lows and I can hear all the cool fills well
- there is opportunity to improve the chorus impact - you have a great build from verse to bridge, but there could be more at the chorus. Consider additional rhythm guitar volume, more panning of the rhythm guitars, thinning stuff out prior to the chorus hitting, or other ideas in this realm.
- I am hearing non-transparent vocal tuning in chorus 2 and chorus 3.
- like the whisper treatment - works well !
- BVS too loud
- tambourine sounds great when it comes in during bridge 3. When the outro starts, however, it feels a bit loud vs. the drum level. Subjective comment.
- taste comment again - would be nice to hear a bit more space added to the lead guitar part - some delays or reverb or ?? Feels a touch stark vs the rest of the ensemble.

Thanks again for mixing our song and sharing. I hope these observations help - it's a solid mix for sure

Thomas
Thanks Thomas for you obesrvation clues,
I was aware about all of them, was thinking i can control it at mastering lelvel, but it seems i would have to back to mixdown a deal with it on tracks. I try to improve those things to improve overall feeling of this track. Thanks for sharing you thoughts
Just a small update. Ver2. I tried to apply Thomas pointers. There is still small buildup around 3k, tried as much to control it at mastering stage. I guess it still need some love.
(22-05-2020, 10:14 PM)Lethan Wrote: Hi guys,
Here is my mix. Not an easy track to mix. Let me know what do you think, where to improve. Cheers

Edit:
DroppingĀ  ver2. Let's call it "final". Any feedback very welcome.
They actually both sound good. Nice and clear. Crisp. The song is super gay though. ha/ The lyrics are super cheesy. Nice mixes though
AMD PC>Reaper>Motu 828es>Ferrofish pulse 16 converter. DEATHMETAL
hey lethan, nice and clean mix
Cool mix Lethan!