Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brew - What I Want - ArmedNDaverous Mix
Great raw tracks to work with.  Very good song to mix, thank you for posting!  Mike's podcast about this mix was very helpful as well.  Here's me take on it. I didn't use the mono drum room mic.  It might've made it a little hollow in the middle for the drums and the cymbals unnaturally wide, but I also kinda like it. 
Dave

Update v2: I took pretty much all of the advice and did a quick remix.  Only thing I didn't do was SC duck the guitar from the vocals but I did cut the guitar a little bit around 2khz.  I did go a little bonkers with the kick drum and bass on v1, so brought those down a bit, thanks for the tip Stefan.

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want.mp3 --  (Download: 9.16 MB)

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want v2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.16 MB)

Sounds great. My only thought is that the keys could have a little more mid/lower mid energy to fill things out more. They feel right up there with the vocal and guitar and snare and things get crowded. The bridge feels more like what I'm thinking. Maybe it's a change in keyboard patch. I can't remember.

But other than that it feels really good.
(20-05-2020, 04:23 PM)RoyM Wrote: Sounds great. My only thought is that the keys could have a little more mid/lower mid energy to fill things out more. They feel right up there with the vocal and guitar and snare and things get crowded. The bridge feels more like what I'm thinking. Maybe it's a change in keyboard patch. I can't remember.

But other than that it feels really good.

Hey Roy,

Thanks for the feedback. You’re right, there were different keyboard patches used for that song, they were all on the same track.  I did mult them to separate tracks but some of it definitely could’ve used some more attention and fattening up in the mids like you mentioned.  Thanks again!
Hi Dave, this sounds great!...and what a great song to mix, too! It's been quite a while since I mixed it myself, but I remember really enjoying it...

Just taking in your mix on headphones (HD650) and it really sounds sweet. Vocals are beautifully treated in particular.

About the only thing I noticed was that sometimes the guitar competes just a bit with the vocal. I think the decision to centre pan it may be the reason. I wonder if pushing the guitar out to the side for the verses and choruses and bringing it back centre for the lead sections might be one way to deal with it...

Or even leave as is but trigger some sidechain compression to bring the guitar down a tad when the vocals are present.

Great mix!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(22-05-2020, 11:23 PM)FytaKyte Wrote: Hi Dave, this sounds great!...and what a great song to mix, too! It's been quite a while since I mixed it myself, but I remember really enjoying it...

Just taking in your mix on headphones (HD650) and it really sounds sweet.  Vocals are beautifully treated in particular.

About the only thing I noticed was that sometimes the guitar competes just a bit with the vocal.  I think the decision to centre pan it may be the reason. I wonder if pushing the guitar out to the side for the verses and choruses and bringing it back centre for the lead sections might be one way to deal with it...

Or even leave as is but trigger some sidechain compression to bring the guitar down a tad when the vocals are present.

Great mix!

Hey Fytakyte,

Thank you for the kind feedback.  That’s a really good idea to pan the guitar a little bit out of the way of the vocal. (and the guitar ducking)  In hindsight it seems like a no brainer, I guess that’s why it’s good to get a second pair of ears!  Thanks again.

Dave
Hi Dave,

overall cool mix. Smile Nice mid-range - moves a lot of air.
The only thing I noticed right from the start is, that kick and bass are a bit too loud. I'm listening on a 2.1 system. Might also be a taste thing, but it threw me off a little.
Also the guitars might need a little eq cut in the upper midrange - somewhere arount 2.0k maybe. They get a little harsh at times and compete with the vocals (as noted before by FytaKyte).

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Stefan