Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red On You Registered mix
Hi there!
I'm looking for critics for this mix. It has been a pleasure to work on, even if I'm not into hardcore usually.
Hope you enjoy it !  Smile

V1 ==> noob mix with phase issues.
V2 ==> noob mix without phase issues.
V3 ==> noob mix with improvement on bass and vocals I guess… 
V5 ==> noob mix and tired of this song… Or of my lack of competence.  Smile

.mp3    Red_on_you_registered_mix_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

.mp3    Red_on_you_registered_mix_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

.mp3    Red_on_you_registered_mix_v3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

.mp3    Red_on_you_registered_mix_v5.mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

Oh geez… Don't know why but the singer reminds me of Morty sometimes.  Rolleyes

Anyways, I found out that stereo imager on the master track is very, very bad... Now I can hear phase issues on my first mix, I learnt it the hard way I guess...
This new mix should sound better, yet different from the first one, apart from the phase issues.
What do you think about it ?

.mp3    Red_on_you_registered_mix_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

On the vocals I am hearing strong artifacts from deesing, almost lisp like. On top of that the vocal is still piercing at times so you need to find a better balance. For a startet I would back of some highs on vocal because tonally it sticks out too much from the rest of instruments and it's making sybilants too prominent.
There is too much guitars and too little bass. Guitars also have this midrange quality which is pretty cool but it's too dominant. In this type of music where guitars and bass are playing the same notes you need to mix them togethers, meaning they need to work as a one cohesive instrument.
Hi Grzesiek, and thank for the feedback.
I didn't use de-essing stuff on the vocals, but now that you mention it, it is clear that sibilance should be lowered.
I'm not sure how to handle the high ends on the vocals too. I like the agressiveness and I feel that if I cut some high frequencies, the result would not be as harsh as I want it.

To be frank, I struggle a lot for the balance between bass and guitar and finding that sweet spot where the magic appears.

I tried something in this new mix, but I'm not sure if the result is better or not…

.mp3    Red_on_you_registered_mix_v3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

Okay, seems that I've been doing it wrong on the previous attempt. Maybe I wasn't quite in the mood, seeing life in red aha.

So, this is my last attempt, and it's the most "clear" mix that I can currently manage. Not very enjoying 100% what I've done but hey… Still on the process of learning !  Big Grin

.mp3    Red_on_you_registered_mix_v5.mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)