Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living Lie Mix
This is my mix for Living Lie. Cool song to mix.

Please, take a listen and tell me what you think about it!

EDIT: As suggested by Thomas, I fixed what he pointed as recalls and think that came out really good! It was really helpful Thomas, thank you very much. 

I don't know if the bass became what you expected but low end is a difficult region considering that I use small monitors (Yamaha HS5). Usually I check the low end with ATH-m50x headphones but this is not the best practice. Hope you like this second version, with the recalls.

For those who listen, check the RECALL version, please.

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Living Lie_radavid.mp3 --  (Download: 11.28 MB)

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Living Lie - RECALL_radavid.mp3 --  (Download: 11.28 MB)

(18-05-2020, 03:07 AM)radavid Wrote: This is my mix for Living Lie. Cool song to mix.

Please, take a listen and tell me what you think about it!

I like your mix, later i will listen to it again on studio monitors but i think i will say the same.
Hi radavid - thanks for mixing our song. I will note my observations as I listen through. Overall, a really nice instrument balance going on. I think most of my comments below fall into the frequency balance category.

- verse guitar level "feels" a little strong vs. the lead vocal
- snare brightness a bit heavy. I was perceiving the snare as the feature instrument of your mix - in front of the vocals
- bass guitar low frequencies feel light - was wishing for a bit more low end. Check vs. some references?
- guitar balance at chorus nice
- cymbal wash pokes out - both after chorus 1 and in the lead part in the middle - found it a bit distracting
- nice delays on the vocals - like them a lot
- like the background vocal treatment - very nice
- tom3 is too prominent at bridge 3
- lead gtr vs. rhythm guitar balance at the end? Feels like the rhythm guitars are louder. Subjective comment.

Thanks again for sharing - really nice presentation of the song overall - hope these observations are helpful !

Thomas
(18-05-2020, 06:15 PM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: Hi radavid - thanks for mixing our song.  I will note my observations as I listen through.  Overall, a really nice instrument balance going on.  I think most of my comments below fall into the frequency balance category.

- verse guitar level "feels" a little strong vs. the lead vocal
- snare brightness a bit heavy.  I was perceiving the snare as the feature instrument of your mix - in front of the vocals
- bass guitar low frequencies feel light - was wishing for a bit more low end.  Check vs. some references?
- guitar balance at chorus nice
- cymbal wash pokes out - both after chorus 1 and in the lead part in the middle - found it a bit distracting
- nice delays on the vocals - like them a lot
- like the background vocal treatment - very nice
- tom3 is too prominent at bridge 3
- lead gtr vs. rhythm guitar balance at the end?  Feels like the rhythm guitars are louder.  Subjective comment.

Thanks again for sharing - really nice presentation of the song overall - hope these observations are helpful !

Thomas

Hi Thomas! Really cool too have a member of the band listening to our mixes. That gives a very good feeling of a true process, such as recalls, which i'm going to work on all your observations. 

I was in doubt about that guitar and you are confirming it. Will work on it
About the snare, i was feeling that after posting the mix. I don't like it's transients either, too strong for this song
Totally agree with you about bass frequencies and I will do exactly as you told. Could you name a reference that would be good to compare with this song?
Will check this cymbals as you said. Maybe some automation would do it, the same for tom3 and guitar balance in the end.

I will work on the as if it was true recalls. I would be very happy and grateful if you could check it out and comment again.

Thank you for sharing the material so we can practice mixing at this quarantine times. It's been really helpful to have a great song to work on it.

Best wishes,
Rodrigo
Updated this thread with a recall version that was suggested by Thomas, who is a member from the band.