Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Perhaps my best mix: Childhood sweetheart
Hello all.

Here is my mix and my master of this song.
For the mix, I honestly think this is one of my best. Correct me if I'm wrong.
This is why I submit the mix and the master so you can taste the difference and hear the mix itself.

Concerning the mix, I wanted to keep the dynamics I created with automation in volume and spatialisation. So, for the first time in one of my mix, I didn't apply a compression on the mixbus.
And I didn't even applied an EQ on the mixbus. This is how I feel about the quality of my mix !!!! I feel confident.

The drums was treated with a lot of reverb: on snare, OH, crash, ride and toms. On the drums room track, I've added a reverb also to glue everything together and deepens it.
I had the feeling that the drums is the instrument that give space to the mix. THe drums and the background vox.

As you can hear I gave priority to the bass. After listening a lot of reference track of Doowop I realized that all these songs has a dominant bass in it.

Personally I found the autotune on the voice quite disguting but it's blending quite well. I apply 2 reverbs on the lead voice, vintage reverb of course. + a slap delay.
Same for the backgrounds vox.

I didnt treat the piano. The electric guitar I touched very little.

I've added width during the chorus by widening the piano, the background vox and the egtr. I also increased the volume of the drums and the slap delay on lead during the chorus.

Basically most of the mix here is automation, drums mix, vox mix, spatialization... . There is not so much EQ or compression. Or at least less than usual.  There is not even parallel compression !!!!!

Concerning the master, I put a dynamic EQ to cut around 300 HZ, boost 90Hz, 2KHz and high shelve at 16KHz.
I applied a tape exciter, an imager and a limiter.

Enough talk I let you listen.

Please give me feedbacks.

.mp3    Childhood sweetheart master.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

.mp3    Childhood sweetheart mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.79 MB)

I listened to both versions. The mix is a little better than the master. I'd say, give it a day and listen again and see how you feel.
(15-05-2020, 08:01 PM)RoyM Wrote: I listened to both versions. The mix is a little better than the master. I'd say, give it a day and listen again and see how you feel.

Probably the master is messing with the dynamics I patiently and quite successfully manage to build during the mix.

I will see in a few days how I feel about it.
Thanks
Damn masters.
Give it a day or a few. You might want to consider some adjustments.