Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers - Rescue me - GPs Mix
Hi, this is my mix of the song.
Was fun to mix it.
Every comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

BTW, i've uploaded the wrong version, version 2 is the one i wanted to upload, shit happens if you post something and it is late  Smile Smile Smile Smile

.m4a    Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers - Rescue me - GPs Mix.m4a --  (Download: 9.84 MB)

.m4a    Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers - Rescue me - GPs Mix ii.m4a --  (Download: 9.84 MB)

I just woke up. Forgive me.
I never knew how metronomic (huh that's a real word) that hi-hat was. This drummer can play in time and I kinda hate it. That's not on you or the mix.

Overall it's 'fine'. My gut reaction is it's fairly dull sounding. Now, maybe you left a lot for the mastering engineer to work with but that's not the general mentality these days and I have to give it a listen with different ears.

It feels competent, the top is a bit cut off, I can hear everything. Which if I'm honest I can't say is a big deal. Id' rather not hear those BgVs if'n I'm honest.

Two things. I feel like it's dull and I feel like like I'm the drummer. The drums are right here and the band is off in the distance.

Oh and that solo needs to come up. Big time.

You did a very good job getting the parts to stand out. I know this is a 'live' recording and the mandolin especially was tricky to get it to be a part. So I do applaud your technical ability to bring all the tracks to the forefront. But I also have to say the song suffers for it and I'm not moved by it. I can't engage.

Listen again as a kid in rural Missouri who wants a song to make them feel....anything. Or Kazakhstan or Lima, Peru, or wherever. It feels like a mix for us. And you did a pretty good job as someone who knows the tracks. Now make a mix that a kid in Arkhangelsk, who doesn't even understand the words, loves.

Sorry I've recently had some heartbreak and it's made me mean. Also this coffee is kinda weak.
(15-05-2020, 01:32 PM)RoyM Wrote: I just woke up. Forgive me.
I never knew how metronomic (huh that's a real word) that hi-hat was. This drummer can play in time and I kinda hate it. That's not on you or the mix.

Overall it's 'fine'. My gut reaction is it's fairly dull sounding. Now, maybe you left a lot for the mastering engineer to work with but that's not the general mentality these days and I have to give it a listen with different ears.

It feels competent, the top is a bit cut off, I can hear everything. Which if I'm honest I can't say is a big deal. Id' rather not hear those BgVs if'n I'm honest.

Two things. I feel like it's dull and I feel like like I'm the drummer. The drums are right here and the band is off in the distance.

Oh and that solo needs to come up. Big time.

You did a very good job getting the parts to stand out. I know this is a 'live' recording and the mandolin especially was tricky to get it to be a part. So I do applaud your technical ability to bring all the tracks to the forefront. But I also have to say the song suffers for it and I'm not moved by it. I can't engage.

Listen again as a kid in rural Missouri who wants a song to make them feel....anything. Or Kazakhstan or Lima, Peru, or wherever. It feels like a mix for us. And you did a pretty good job as someone who knows the tracks. Now make a mix that a kid in Arkhangelsk, who doesn't even understand the words, loves.

Sorry I've recently had some heartbreak and it's made me mean. Also this coffee is kinda weak.

hi roy, thanx for your good comments and hearing my mix.
btw, are you sure that there was nothing different in your coffee  Smile sorry i'm joking
yes you are right with your meaning of having a high cut and the drums are too much in front and the vocals to low.
i'd uploaded the wrong version, this happens sometimes when you post something and it's late  Smile
anyway, i've just uploaded the right version, i let the wrong version up too, so others can understand what you've talked about.
but in 1 or 2 points i see it a bit different, but that is only my taste.
I really liked this mix! It is very pleaseant to hear.

What i'm saying now is about opinion on what I would do, in my perspective. I would take out a little bit of energy on the vocals and on drums, nothing more.
(16-05-2020, 02:39 AM)radavid Wrote: I really liked this mix! It is very pleaseant to hear.

What i'm saying now is about opinion on what I would do, in my perspective. I would take out a little bit of energy on the vocals and on drums, nothing more.

hi radavid,
yes you are right and i agree with you that the vocals could be 1 or 1.5 DB lower.