Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore First Attempt
Hello,
I have been using the Multitrack Download Library & this forum for several months now but have never posted before. That being said this is my first and I am really looking forward to getting and giving feedback to improve my skills.

This was a "fairly quick" mix for me. I used minimal plugins, EQs, and editing as I was trying to see what I could do with just levels and panning.

I am very happy with my mix!

What do you think?

.mp3    Motor Tapes Shore Bounce 12-13-2013.mp3 --  (Download: 4.29 MB)

Just thoughts as I listen.

Like the guitars. Kick & Snare need more presence, a lot more. Other drums sound nice though, good round tonality. Vocal is a bit too one dimensional and a little too boomy I think. Bass is a bit weak too. During the chorus still love those guitars. The backing vocals sound quite good too, if in need of some kind of FX IMO. Tambourine is good too, not too present. Really wishing the drums had more presence overall. On the lead guitar towards the end a few resonant bits came out too far. Also, the piano is just too strong in comparison to everything else making it a bit jarring. Just my initial thoughts.

Overall, I'd say it is a good start. But it needs work to get it perfect. The big thing is those drums. You've got the guitars, except the lead guitar at the end, nailed. Bringing out the drums will probably lead you too look at the bass with a bit more scrutiny too. So, fixing one would inevitably fix the other IMO. But in all honesty the mix is a good start just needs some finessing to get it even better.
(15-12-2013, 06:32 AM)APZX Wrote: Just thoughts as I listen.

Like the guitars. Kick & Snare need more presence, a lot more. Other drums sound nice though, good round tonality. Vocal is a bit too one dimensional and a little too boomy I think. Bass is a bit weak too. During the chorus still love those guitars. The backing vocals sound quite good too, if in need of some kind of FX IMO. Tambourine is good too, not too present. Really wishing the drums had more presence overall. On the lead guitar towards the end a few resonant bits came out too far. Also, the piano is just too strong in comparison to everything else making it a bit jarring. Just my initial thoughts.

Overall, I'd say it is a good start. But it needs work to get it perfect. The big thing is those drums. You've got the guitars, except the lead guitar at the end, nailed. Bringing out the drums will probably lead you too look at the bass with a bit more scrutiny too. So, fixing one would inevitably fix the other IMO. But in all honesty the mix is a good start just needs some finessing to get it even better.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your comments. I did take your suggestions and I tweaked my mix accordingly.

Please let me know what you think!

.mp3    Motor Tapes Shore Bounce 12-18.2-2013.mp3 --  (Download: 4.29 MB)