Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carol Dant: Do Not Stand mix by Silona
Hey, 

I rather new to mixing, this is my ever first mix since I began studying the magic making during the corona quarantine time .... I haven't listened to the original mastered version single when working on this, until I finished the mix I attached here... After listening and reading previous works of others, I realised some (and also on the original production?) added few boosts to the drums with extra sample, which I have failed miserably making it sound as lushy Smile other than boosting some highs on the eq and reducing a few in the low mid. I don't really know how to produce this sound without adding and topping extra samples and tops?  

Anyway, awesome track. Loved working on it. Thanks!

.mp3    Do Not Stand_silonaMix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.63 MB)

Hey silona!

I mixed the original version of this, and while there are some things that can defintely be worked on, you started with a really good foundation of a mix. I think on of the biggest issues that I have up front is that the vox is sitting very much on top of the music. I definitely like a very present and in your face vocal, but it seemed separated from the rest of the instruments. Nothing sounds ditorted (except the things that should be, hah) so I really think you can bring the volume of the instruments up to the level of the vocals a bit more. Usually I would say to bring the vocals down, but I think overall your volume could come up, and you wouldn't lose a lot of definition, as you seem to have plenty of headroom.

Once you bring those up, maybe play around with stereo image placements, or even moving parts through the stereo field, to add a little bit more of a surrounding feel, but I could also definitely see the argument for a mix that feels closed in and confining.

I really dug the vocal effects at the end. The lower pitch voice sounded really cool, as did the leslie cab on the vox.

Nice work, and with a little bit of massaging, you can really get a nice big mix from what you've started with.

Draper