Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What an amazing vocalist!
I enjoyed mixing and mastering this track. Such feeling and heart is heard in her voice. I LOVE it when I can feel and kinda connect with the musician / artists on some level. Makes me really indulge myself into the music and master a musical art masterpiece. Thank you for the opportunity to be able to mix and master this track - Such joy! If it sounds ( Digitally, Sorry. I typically do WAV format because of this reason ) 

( Hopefully, you'll like it to )  Smile

.mp3    Nerve 9 - Living Lie-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 2.34 MB)

Hi mwinva

Thanks for mixing our track ! I can offer you some observations as I listen through.
- like your vocal reverb choice - nice
- brightness of the verse guitar a little abrasive at higher volume
- second verse at the bridge - vocal feels a little pushed back vs the rhythm guitars
- really nice middle section - you did something interesting with the chimes - nice
- I like your general treatment of guitars - coming from the guitar player Smile
- get the occasional feeling I am hearing the buss compressor (I think?) hitting the vocals a bit hard - take as an observation as I am not confident
- you got the bass fills coming through really nicely. Perhaps a little more low frequency content in your bass would be good from a frequency balance standpoint - depends on what mixes your were referencing, so a subjective comment.

Thanks again for mixing our song and for your kind words. Really nice mix. I hope these observations help in some way.

Thomas

Really nice
Thomas, Thank you for your reply and observation! 

Approaching this track, I listen to it about 10 times before making any track additions, enhancements..etc.. The very 1st thing I noticed and said to myself was, The singers vocals. It must pop, clear, wide solid. I make notes. In this case, I had a few pages lol!

- like your vocal reverb choice - nice
  - Thanks! She has a great voice so I wanted her vocals to really "shine" I used the plugin "Verbsuite Classics" by LiquidSonics 

- brightness of the verse guitar a little abrasive at higher volume
  - I didn't notice this but then again, I listened to this song right around 200 times lol! 

- second verse at the bridge - vocal feels a little pushed back vs the rhythm guitars
  - I'll check this out. Maybe I missed it. Thank you! 

- really nice middle section - you did something interesting with the chimes - nice
  - I added some reverb and some ping pong delay. I wanted them to really pop out, shine, "twinkle" if you will lol! Thank you!

- I like your general treatment of guitars - coming from the guitar player
  - I am also a guitar player :-) Some of the channels I doubled and panned left/right to create a nice spread. I also used an EQ to kinda clean them up just a tad. What was your guitar rig setup? What mics did you use on the cabs? Did you use a amp modeler? 

- get the occasional feeling I am hearing the buss compressor
  - No compressor on the mix bus. I had one during mixing but I turn it off when mastering. 

- you got the bass fills coming through really nicely.
   - Thank you! I did a little experimentation/ enhancement here with Aplitube SVX-500 modeling amp. It gave the bass a little push and  sweetened up the mids. They weren't quite cutting through for me as much as I like them to be. To me, the bass kinda fattens up the mix so I like to have the bass sit nicely. 

I appreciate the feedback! I am a student at Full Sail university so I got some kinks to work on still :-) 
On each channel I used CLA Mixhub plugin. Been using this plugin for quite awhile. It gives each track an"analog" sound which I really like.