Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oldchap's one
Hello, here is the SoS mix I did.

First, thank you for allowing us to practice this way, and thanks to the band.
I haven't seen a forum where introduce myself, so I'm doing it here:
I am a classical musician, guitarist by trade, currently unemployed ‘thanks’ to the covid, and I was finally able to spend time discovering a new software that I did not know: Logic Pro.

It’s my first ever mix I’m doing to be heard by someone, so I’ve had to be very imprecise.
Since I'm not a youngster, I quickly thought of sounds from the beginning of FM when I was a child, with a sound that I thought was "English".
I wanted to find that out a bit.
But as I'm French, I necessarily extrapolated. ^^

Regarding the mix, I did all the levels in mono only, then the pan, then back to mono again.
I did not use virtualizer or imager, which gives a stereo image a little tight I think.

Tell me what you think of this, I am aware, and I spent too much time with this song, so now I don't know.
Smile

.m4a    sOs - rendu.m4a --  (Download: 5.83 MB)

.m4a    SoS- Rendu #2.m4a --  (Download: 6.59 MB)

Hello Oldchap, (sorry, I can't help myself)

It's pretty cool to be able mix tracks like this and then release it to the world I reckon.  It's a great resource we have here for sure.

Listening to this on my Logitechs at work,  this mix is sounding really good and I'm liking it a lot.  Balance, short and long term is great for my ears. I think your mono checks have paid off here.  The only real criticism I have listening on my crappy speakers is with the upper frequency fizz on the bass.  It's probably cutting through a bit too much.  If I find time when I get home,  I'll try and get a proper listen to it.  

Great Job Oldchap!  (I did it again Tongue )
(12-05-2020, 08:19 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Hello Oldchap, (sorry, I can't help myself)

It's pretty cool to be able mix tracks like this and then release it to the world I reckon.  It's a great resource we have here for sure.

Listening to this on my Logitechs at work,  this mix is sounding really good and I'm liking it a lot.  Balance, short and long term is great for my ears. I think your mono checks have paid off here.  The only real criticism I have listening on my crappy speakers is with the upper frequency fizz on the bass.  It's probably cutting through a bit too much.  If I find time when I get home,  I'll try and get a proper listen to it.  

Great Job Oldchap!  (I did it again Tongue )
lol Dave, I can't understand the joke with oldchap..please please tell me more..
here, this is a friendly name we gave between old friends of mine, according to lucky luke
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Luke

I hope this is not ccompletely stupid as a name in English actually : ((

for the bass, ami, I agree, I didn't even know we could saturate it, I had a lot of questions about it.
The DI had a lot of attack, and the cabinet none, only a strange color very invasive.
I think my mixing of the bass shows that the top of the saturation spectrum, and as it is a bass, it is too slow and a bit noisy in frequency!

I heard this, but frankly I thought it was the style they wanted, and above all i didn't know what to do ..
your ears doesn't lie to you, i think .

Thanks for you advice
(12-05-2020, 12:22 PM)Oldchap Wrote: lol Dave, I can't understand the joke with oldchap..please please tell me more..
here, this is a friendly name we gave between old friends of mine, according to lucky luke
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Luke

I hope this is not ccompletely stupid as a name in English actually : ((

for the bass, ami, I agree, I didn't even know we could saturate it, I had a lot of questions about it.
The DI had a lot of attack, and the cabinet none, only a strange color very invasive.
I think my mixing of the bass shows that the top of the saturation spectrum, and as it is a bass, it is too slow and a bit noisy in frequency!

I heard this, but frankly I thought it was the style they wanted, and above all i didn't know what to do ..
your ears doesn't lie to you, i think .

Thanks for you advice

Sorry,  I'm Australian and try to make a joke out of anything.  I think it's a line I've taken from Monty Python somewhere many moons ago.  I need to grow up!

Yes the bass part is tricky, specially through the quieter verse parts, so some of this upper freq distortion has it's place.  I guess it's just a balancing act.  Something I'm not sure I got right in the end. 
Nice work.
Overall it works for me.
As Dangerous mentioned, the upper frequency bass fizz, isn't working for me either. Also, there's some HF in the BGV that I'm not a huge fan of either.
Apart from that, the general feeling in your mix is good.
Well done
I have a Polish friend, who is a sound engineer. Oh, and a Czech one too.

#nobodygoeshomehummingthekickdrum
#nosubnoshow
(12-05-2020, 01:39 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Sorry,  I'm Australian and try to make a joke out of anything.  I think it's a line I've taken from Monty Python somewhere many moons ago.  I need to grow up!
Seriously don't change anything, the world is full of overgrown people, and sense of humor is always a good idea.

I am not an English speaking chap (:p) and I'am not fluent with jokes or puns
In an old forum, years ago, I wanted a wink to rusty james (the movie) and I took to be clever, busty.. Big Grin, referring to sport, you know, "a bust in a draft"..
Not even thought busty was a complete other thing Blush

(17-05-2020, 10:10 AM)Krabb Wrote: Also, there's some HF in the BGV that I'm not a huge fan of either.
Hello
I was surprised, then I took your opinion on the BGV (5 minutes of research on g ** gle to find what it meant :p) as soon as I listened it again.

I totally agree and the reason is simple, I wanted to create an aggressive "particular effect" (like the frequency modulations of my childhood) but I completely forgot to put a De-esser on the back voice .
It's just silly.
What worries me a little is that I didn't hear it before.
thank you for your return.

Edit 18/05 :
I listened this mix again, and apart from the excellent reviews from dangerous & Krabbe, I find that the snare is a little too strong, and that the mix lacks cohesion.
In particular, as I did'nt put any reverb (overall) I plan to add an inch on the whole and also review the layout.
If you have other advice, they are welcome.
it is really more difficult to correct yourself than to start from scratch again.
But I tried.
thanks again guys, this kind of experience is always good.

It's a very vintage mix now.
I can't do better..