Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Journey into Gnessin Academy
(11-05-2020, 01:47 AM)RoyM Wrote: No, what I hear is definitely not musical. Just some background interference.
Huh I thought I could add an attachment to this. I'll try again.

E: Ah. Here's what I'm hearing but way amplified. It just caught my ear is all. It's throughout and I think not only on one track.
Ah. OK. Yes. That's the self noise in the room. I guess I could edit the front to mask it. Like I said it is a very intimate rendition of the piece. There's not a lot of compression overall so this is an accumulation of noise in the room as the performance began.  No audience is there which would have become a mask as well. You can also hear the pianist breath a few times (or somebody) and there are a few pedal sounds too. Not nearly as apparent on speakers.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I get it. it's just something that's there and unavoidable. From listening to the tracks I DL'd it's throughout and pops out occasionally just like the audience noise. I almost want to say it's time code but doesn't sound like SMPTE. That's the nature of live classical recordings I suppose.
(11-05-2020, 02:29 AM)RoyM Wrote: I get it. it's just something that's there and unavoidable. From listening to the tracks I DL'd it's throughout and pops out occasionally just like the audience noise. I almost want to say it's time code but doesn't sound like SMPTE. That's the nature of live classical recordings I suppose.
I've uploaded a trimmed version to lessen the impact of it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-05-2020, 02:38 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 02:29 AM)RoyM Wrote: I get it. it's just something that's there and unavoidable. From listening to the tracks I DL'd it's throughout and pops out occasionally just like the audience noise. I almost want to say it's time code but doesn't sound like SMPTE. That's the nature of live classical recordings I suppose.
Nope. There is something going on with my DAW. Everything coming from it has tons of clicks and pops in it, like it is on old vinyl.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-05-2020, 04:55 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 02:38 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
Nope. There is something going on with my DAW. Everything coming from it has tons of clicks and pops in it, like it is on old vinyl.
I am experiencing similar symptoms.  Has re-downloading the files helped for anyone?
(09-05-2020, 10:01 PM)Hi:  I also heard the fizziness one some piano notes, one around 7 minutes, as well as some others. I tried lessening with RX7spectral edits, but was only partially successful. Thank you for these tracks!!!! Did not include my mix. John NMixinthecloud Wrote: Hello. I hope everyone is doing genuinely well.

I've mixed this piece previously and have posted those mixes in another post. Typically I would add it to my exiting post but this mix is a different generation.

After watching a recent public television special documenting the life of the young Japanese piano prodigy Nobuyuki Tsujii, who achieved a gold medal at the Van Cliburn competition in 2009 and listening to this incredible pianist, it clarified an approach to this piece. That approach has been applied with this next generation mix.

Armed with new EQ plugins from the classical era allowed for liberally shaping the sonic content appropriately, bringing focus to the groups of instruments in the ensemble and how they are layered. This presented a wonderful sound stage to present a focused and very evenly tempered piano soloist. This new clarity also allowed for the house to be better encompassed around the stage which is vital to the entire soundscape. This has yielded the best rendition of the hall I've yet to realize. It also preserves the presence of the soloist, with excellent imaging of the piano, note definition and the best dynamics, so far.

There were several layers of compression on the mix as well as mastering compression/limiting. All used very sparingly and for specific need. No reverb was added to the mix. The decay and sonic density of the hall is superb. Automation was used throughout on section mics or on the 'All Sections' buss; mostly subtle changes to enhance the balance between soloist and ensemble throughout the phrases in the score. All tracks were high-passed to a degree to minimize rumble. Not noticed in previous mixes are some of the house noises audible in this one. I also think a string is gone or is going bad on the piano. Yikes! I had my suspicions of this before but something is buzzing, besides me. You tell me if you can hear it. Please!

Learning and hearing about this wonderful new performer was a treat and being able to apply that to this mix of the Concerto has a been a real pleasure.  I hope you find time to enjoy my mix.

Put on your best ears and take a listen...
Your friend, mITc