Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Journey into Gnessin Academy
Hello. I hope everyone is doing genuinely well.

I've mixed this piece previously and have posted those mixes in another post. Typically I would add it to my exiting post but this mix is a different generation.

After watching a recent public television special documenting the life of the young Japanese piano prodigy Nobuyuki Tsujii, who achieved a gold medal at the Van Cliburn competition in 2009 and listening to this incredible pianist, it clarified an approach to this piece. That approach has been applied with this next generation mix.

Armed with new EQ plugins from the classical era allowed for liberally shaping the sonic content appropriately, bringing focus to the groups of instruments in the ensemble and how they are layered. This presented a wonderful sound stage to present a focused and very evenly tempered piano soloist. This new clarity also allowed for the house to be better encompassed around the stage which is vital to the entire soundscape. This has yielded the best rendition of the hall I've yet to realize. It also preserves the presence of the soloist, with excellent imaging of the piano, note definition and the best dynamics, so far.

There were several layers of compression on the mix as well as mastering compression/limiting. All used very sparingly and for specific need. No reverb was added to the mix. The decay and sonic density of the hall is superb. Automation was used throughout on section mics or on the 'All Sections' buss; mostly subtle changes to enhance the balance between soloist and ensemble throughout the phrases in the score. All tracks were high-passed to a degree to minimize rumble. Not noticed in previous mixes are some of the house noises audible in this one. I also think a string is gone or is going bad on the piano. Yikes! I had my suspicions of this before but something is buzzing, besides me. You tell me if you can hear it. Please!

Learning and hearing about this wonderful new performer was a treat and being able to apply that to this mix of the Concerto has a been a real pleasure.  I hope you find time to enjoy my mix.

Put on your best ears and take a listen...
Your friend, mITc

.mp3    Gnessin Acadamy Piano Concerto Pan 6.mp3 --  (Download: 23.84 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
No upload.
(10-05-2020, 12:17 AM)RoyM Wrote: No upload.
Hmmm...

Hey Roy

Apparently uploaded files are not making onto the server for this song. I wonder if it has been archived?

Can you upload to here?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I can. I did an hour or two ago. At least I think I did. I’ll double check
(10-05-2020, 01:52 AM)RoyM Wrote: I can. I did an hour or two ago. At least I think I did. I’ll double check

I tried uploading to another thread and that failed too.
I can upload to other sites.  Odd. What did you find?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Musically, it feels pretty good. I’m not familiar with the tracks.

Feels center/right heavy but, yeah that’s where the basses be. I do wish the first violins were more left. But again, that just might be how the image was captured.

There’s a glitch in the beginning. There seems to be a noise through out. Not sure if that’s just on the recording or not.

I suppose I could download it and check but classical aint my bag.

The piano sounds good. It all sounds good. Besides what I’ve noticed so far.

Oh and I don't notice a note on the piano being out but I tend not to.

EDIT: I downloaded the tracks. The noise I'm hearing is on the piano track, I think, but seems exacerbated in the mix.
E2: No I hear the noise on different tracks. Some type of interference.
(10-05-2020, 01:53 PM)RoyM Wrote: Musically, it feels pretty good. I’m not familiar with the tracks.

Feels center/right heavy but, yeah that’s where the basses be. I do wish the first violins were more left. But again, that just might be how the image was captured.

There’s a glitch in the beginning. There seems to be a noise through out. Not sure if that’s just on the recording or not.

I suppose I could download it and check but classical aint my bag.

The piano sounds good. It all sounds good. Besides what I’ve noticed so far.

Oh and I don't notice a note on the piano being out but I tend not to.

EDIT: I downloaded the tracks. The noise I'm hearing is on the piano track, I think, but seems exacerbated in the mix.
E2: No I hear the noise on different tracks. Some type of interference.

You are right about the glitch. I chalked that up to the internet. Glitch is gone now. As for the interference, I am not getting that. Maybe we are talking about the same thing but I characterize it as a broken string on the piano (or one out of its saddle). Just an odd resonance.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
No. What I'm hearing occurs before the song even starts. Listening again, maybe it's minor and less significant than I felt before. And I heard it on the tracks when I downloaded it. It's just some digital interference. It stood out more to me before.
E: Yeah, it was louder in the previous version
(11-05-2020, 12:24 AM)RoyM Wrote: No. What I'm hearing occurs before the song even starts. Listening again, maybe it's minor and less significant than I felt before. And I heard it on the tracks when I downloaded it. It's just some digital interference. It stood out more to me before.
E: Yeah, it was louder in the previous version
What you may be hearing is the bow of the bass fiddle. Quite intimate. Maybe too much. It also has compression on it to Keep it from jumping which it does at times. Maybe I need to slap it down some more. It gets feisty.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
No, what I hear is definitely not musical. Just some background interference.
Huh I thought I could add an attachment to this. I'll try again.

E: Ah. Here's what I'm hearing but way amplified. It just caught my ear is all. It's throughout and I think not only on one track.

.mp3    Noise_ref.mp3 --  (Download: 84.61 KB)