Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SilenceIsNear_TheForthcomingTurn_vanbasMix
Hi!

Big Grin

.mp3    SilenceIsNear_TheForthcomingTurn_vanbasMix.mp3 --  (Download: 14.37 MB)

Hi !
On an overall perspective, I think that all the synths/effects and strings parts could be a little bit behind to let the guitar riffs be more efficient.
Another detail: the first guitar track for the intro is slightly detuned on the original track. Try to compensate it (very small amount to a higher pitch) as the transition to the main riff with the well tuned guitars feels weird.
On the drum parts, I think that the hihat is too present and destabilize a bit the global drum sounds.
Hi!

Big Grin

.mp3    SilenceIsNear_TheForthcomingTurn_vanbasMix2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.33 MB)

Hi!

Big Grin

.mp3    SilenceIsNear_TheForthcomingTurn_vanbasMix2-1.mp3 --  (Download: 14.33 MB)

Hello!
I think that you have been heavy handed on the suggestions that I made. Now the hi hat has almost completely disappeared from the song, as well as the arrangement parts.
I suggest finding a sweet spot for volume between your first and further mixes would be an improvement to these elements.
And note that reverb on the "synth" and strings parts is way too present, which bring the sensation that the sounds are coming from a mile away. Be more gentle with reverb so that it does not sound so obvious.

On your last mix, you tried to boost the low frequencies, but now it seems that the bass is too boomy, and covers the kick energy (at least in the beginning of the song). I honestly prefer the balance on the second mix for that specific point. I see what you intended here, to give your mix a bit more of power in it, but boosting the low end would not end fulfill that goal., and I can't seem to find a proper way to do it...

If you have the time, watch tutorials online on mixing, and learn the basics of EQing and compressing. By watching others working and teaching these elements you can get a better understanding of the philosophy of mixing, which , as perceive, is tiny improvements on each track to bring coherency on the whole, and not much of big gaps, though it depends on the audio quality of the original recording.

Don't be discouraged though! Mixing is a long journey, but the more you practice, including different songs and styles, the more it will become clearer to you. At least, even if I'm still struggling with mixing in general, I know where and how to start. It feels like you're lost in a jungle with a knife, instead of being barehanded and blindfolded Big Grin

Cheers
Hi!

Big Grin

.mp3    SilenceIsNear_TheForthcomingTurn_vanbasMix3.mp3 --  (Download: 14.35 MB)

For the most part I like the choices you've made. 3 things I would look at, though:
1) The snare gets lost. It doesn't seem to have enough attack or top end, almost sounds muffled.
2) Everything, including the guitars, bass, kick, and snare are competing from 90hz to 160hz. Cutting the 160hz from everything but one element would help a lot with clarity, as there's a heavy focus on 120hz in this mix.
3) The atmospheric and synthy stuff gets a little bit lost. Maybe cut some 300hz or 500hz or something so those synths can come out? Then you could probably just take a high shelf and brighten everything over like 15k for some air and it would be pretty spot on in my opinion.

I quite like your mix though (Mix3).
Hi!

aftercutrecords:Thank you!

Big Grin

.mp3    SilenceIsNear_TheForthcomingTurn_vanbasMix4.mp3 --  (Download: 14.32 MB)