Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Souls Moon - no plugins - Olli H
I've been quite busy for some time, but I try to find some time to continue with some mixing.

Somewhere I mentioned that I always do a rough mix without any plugins. Quite often I spoil the sound with plugins, so I want to have the original idea somewhere as a reference. Just to remind me that sometimes the unprocessed sound is more beautiful that the version I "fixed".

So here's my first mix, without any plugins. No eqs, no compressors, no reverbs, no whatsoever (Well, I added Piano virtual instrument to midi-track, but no other plugins). I did use some automation on the clip level. But otherwise just faders and panning.

I spent couple of hours with this. I'm a slow mixer.

Even though it's Christmas time soon, I'll try to find time to do another version soon with some well chosen plugins.

Normally I don't listen anybody's version before I've made my first rough mix. Now I have a "permission" to listen what others have done, so I'll be commenting some of your mixes also.

Cheers Olli

EDIT
Version with plugins added to post #12

.mp3    All-souls-moon-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.27 MB)

it sounds very good with no plugins! I have tried to do so in some other songs and the result was a bunch of disturbing noise!!!! Sometimes in my mixes I only use EQ to most tracks in order to make things sound more natural. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't.

And don't worry about being a slow mixer. I'm sure that I'm much much slower than you!!
mixing since April 2013
No eq ? Not even lowcut. Great sound. Reminds me of my first experience with multitracks, a Teac 2340sx with the enormeous amount of 4 tracks on 1/4 inch tape. I couldnt afford a mixer so I know the limits and beauty of mixin with just pan and volume.
As your mix shows one can get the message through beautifully and actually our beloved eq and comps and things are just icin on the cake. This mix is the ingredients and I want to thank you for drawin our attention to that ! Very well worth the time of printin a mix like this, just pan and faders.

Thank you !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(16-12-2013, 04:09 AM)Voelund Wrote: As your mix shows one can get the message through beautifully and actually our beloved eq and comps and things are just icin on the cake. This mix is the ingredients and I want to thank you for drawin our attention to that !

Well said !
True display of mixing skill ,Sounds great Wink !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks all for listening.

@ Voelund. In this case: no hi-pass nor low-pass. Sometimes I might use them in rough mix, but in this case the arrangement and recording of the instrument was very well done. I did some clip-level automation

Normally I try first without any changes, just to find where the instrument would like to stay among other instruments. For example I don't know beforehand if I want the acoustic guitar to be full and round or thin and crisp. But when there's context (rough mix), then it's possible to hear who's masking and whom etc.

Of course there are recordings where one must immediately add hi-pass filter or something else to fix too obvious problems, but in this case there was no need for it.

Next I'll try to do my "official" mix, but this damn christmas time... No time for important things!
(16-12-2013, 09:51 AM)Olli H Wrote: Thanks all for listening.

I did some clip-level automation

Ive heard about that, and i have a plugin that has that in its name but i must admit I have yet to learn what it does and how I can use it. Your mix shows it usefull.
Yes the tracks are well recorded, but as i remember it the vocal are fairly dark, probably due to proximity effect and a soft voice, and thats what made me ask about hipass filters.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Is clip level automation another kind of volume automation ? Before the fader.
By the way beware of the little bas note mistake at 3.16
He play an A instead of an E, its easily replaceable Big Grin
Official name is clip gain. It's available at least in ProTools. Probably also in other DAWs.

It's very practical tool, and it's not a plugin at all. It's before anything else. So also before any plugin. It can be used similarly as fader automation, but automation happens after the plugins.

In the attachment is an image what I did for vocals in last verse. Those small movements made the words better levelled with music. So now I don't have to use compressor to tame too loud words. I can adjust the compressor differently, as those couple of words won't drive the compressor insane. Or those couple of words won't end up sounding too compressed.

And it leaves me the real fader to be used as a way to balance the instruments. I don't like automation of faders in too early phase of the mix, because I like to move them. When I try to balance instruments, I like to close my eyes and just listen what the fader movement does.

Of course when the mix begins to have the sound I like, then I use also fader automation to some spots.

Thumbnail(s)

Thx for explainin. It is possible in Logic, if one insert a gain plugin first slot. As they use near to no cpu I gues it will be a good habit to involve in standard mixin song. That makes very good sense. Thank you for the idea !
And here's the version with plugins.

This sounds more like a record. But the first version without plugins had a certain vulnerable and fragile element in it that I liked.

.mp3    All-souls-moon-olli-h-2013-12-17.mp3 --  (Download: 8.27 MB)