Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Judders' Polemic
Here's mine.

I wanted it to sound good loud, because I didn't figure this was the kind of song to be played quietly.  Not all that easy with such a sibilant-heavy chorus.

I was aiming for a sound between Circus Lupus and Bow Wow Wow.

.mp3    Judders_Polemic.mp3 --  (Download: 5.41 MB)

Sounds good. It's got a bit of a warm tone but in a good way. I think aiming for loud helps because the recording and vibe is so brash and you tamed it well. I can definitely turn it up comfortably. I'm not sure if I'm getting any Bow Wow Wow. I've never heard of Circus Lupus and now I have to Google. This song does remind me of a lot of other bands/songs though.

Good job.
(03-05-2020, 05:09 PM)RoyM Wrote: Sounds good. It's got a bit of a warm tone but in a good way. I think aiming for loud helps because the recording and vibe is so brash and you tamed it well. I can definitely turn it up comfortably. I'm not sure if I'm getting any Bow Wow Wow. I've never heard of Circus Lupus and now I have to Google. This song does remind me of a lot of other bands/songs though.

Good job.
Thanks, Roy.

It was definitely more Circus Lupus.  The Bow Wow Wow was purely because I kept thinking of the drums in C30 C60 C90 Go! while mixing this, and wanted a hint of that papery toms vibe.
...Just went back and actually listened to Solid Brass by Circus Lupus. My memory of how that album sounds does not match reality. It's actually pretty bright and 90's sounding. Ah well, it still provided inspiration, if only in my imagination!
I'll have to check them out. I heard Blur (really just Parklike), Future of the Left/Mclusky (Sheena is a T-Shirt Salesman) and Pop Will Eat Itself for some reason (Ich Bin). Oh and The Streets (Fit).
Sorry I tend to hear other bands in bands. It's a bad habit. Like a naughty nun. Also, I'm old.
(03-05-2020, 05:41 PM)RoyM Wrote: I'll have to check them out. I heard Blur (really just Parklike), Future of the Left/Mclusky (Sheena is a T-Shirt Salesman) and Pop Will Eat Itself for some reason (Ich Bin). Oh and The Streets (Fit).
Sorry I tend to hear other bands in bands. It's a bad habit. Like a naughty nun. Also, I'm old.
Pop Will Eat Itself is rather apt as the band comes from Stourbridge....
(03-05-2020, 05:51 PM)chriswilson83 Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 05:41 PM)RoyM Wrote: I'll have to check them out. I heard Blur (really just Parklike), Future of the Left/Mclusky (Sheena is a T-Shirt Salesman) and Pop Will Eat Itself for some reason (Ich Bin). Oh and The Streets (Fit).
Pop Will Eat Itself is rather apt as the band comes from Stourbridge....
I feel validated. Though to be honest I had no idea.
Feels bold and full. I like it perhaps there's is a too much build up in low mids, not much, but tweaking around this are could help get more contrast and separation. Good Job! Cheers.
(05-05-2020, 12:56 PM)Lethan Wrote: Feels bold and full. I like it perhaps there's is a too much build up in low mids, not much, but tweaking around this are could help get more contrast and separation. Good Job! Cheers.
Yeah, I think you're right.  Thanks for the comment.
Now THIS is the kind of warm, dirty lo-fi crust punk style I dig. It's not harsh in the least, but as a result it's got a strong feeling of being angry in the midrange. I like it a lot. Sure, it could probably use more high end. But so could most 1.5ips tapes from the era when you'd hear songs like this being traded amongst underground music scenes.
I love it!